What's Attacking My Ghost Knife?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Greer

Reaction score
Hi there, I've never posted anything on here before so please bare with me
I have a 'gold' ghost knife with beautiful markings, but something in my tank has started attacking it.
My tank is 4' & currently has about 140L of water in it, the cannister filter is an Aqua One nautilus 1400, there is 4 bits of driftwood including an an anubius & a mangrove root piece (ghostknife's 'cave' ) There is also 6 plants (excluding anubius) giving extra shade.

Fish:
Gold Ghost Knife (15cm ish? maybe bigger, hard to get an accurate measurement)
1 male Bristlenose (11cm last checked)
11X Harlequin Rasbor's
1X female Dwarf Honey Gourami
1 Sterbai Corydora
1 Julii Corydora
1 male longfin betta (very shy boy, no fin rips at all)
1 L333 Pleco (3cm)
2X (I was told Butterfly-Clown pleco's, or L104, but I cant find much info on them so i think they've been misnamed) 5cm roughly
1 Peacock eel (15cms ish, again hard to measure it)

I know that some of my fish will outgrow the tank, & obviously some are too aggressive, so I need your help figuring out which one/ones.
I suspect it is the male bristlenose or possibly the butterfly-clown? plec's, the fighter is a typical suspect but i dont think it is him as he is very shy & hides under things & avoids other fish.The gourami is also a suspect.
If any of you can help determine which fish are problematic I would really appreciate your help, I'm still new to aquarium keeping! Thanks

What dose the wounds on the ghost look like after he gets attacked?

It's like lots of little rips close together on his underside fin, little lashes, same thing on one of his little side fin's aswell from last night.
I should add that this must go on at night as I never see him getting attacked when lights are on

Ok so my best gauss is it's the BN that's doing there mouths inflict that kind of damage and they are very territorial since the ghost at night would be swimming at the bottom and they act a lot like a BN he probably is getting attacked because he strays into it's turf and the BN thinks he's trying to take him on.
My suggestion find a new home for the BN or try taking him out of the tank for a few nights and see if the attacks stop then you will know for sure.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the detail of your reply. That's what I thought too, do you think the pleco's will be the same once they grow ?
I have another tank I can put him in for a few days until I figure out where he's going to go

If it's just a common pleco then I don't think you will have any problems at least I never do with the ones I have :)

My two 5cm roughly plecos I was told are butterfly-clown's or L104, & a 3cm L333, reckon they'd be right?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back