What Type Of Fish?

ALI6NMENT

Reaction score
Hey, someone gave my dad some fish in a big water bottle that where cleaned out of a pond the guy was doing a (landscaping?) job for. My dad has a pond with Koi. I am no fish expert as why I am here, but to me they looked like goldfish. At first I only thought there were 4 of them in this dirty water bottle, so sorted it out to put them in a 60l fish tank, until I know what they are and what to do with them. But, it turns out there are 15 of them in total. Most of them are bronze colour and two have orange, one full orange the other with orange but black on top.

I thought nothing of it, until I could not find what type of goldfish the bronzy ones are, as I have never seen them before. Then I started coming across, webpages with Cyprinus carpio and they look similar.

Are they goldfish, carp, koi, shark? lol.

Any help appreciated,

Thank you

Attachments

• 20130425_111128_resized_1.jpg
    20130425_111128_resized_1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 20130425_112019_resized.jpg
    20130425_112019_resized.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 194
They do look like goldfish. If the bronze ones are only small young they may yet turn gold. Young goldfish usually start off as all brown/ bronze and only develop colour as they mature.
Meant to add that the one with the black strip down its back will proabably lose that too and become all red/ gold.

Yep, they're just goldfish that are in the process of changing colour. They start off bronze, gradually get darker and darker until they're almost black, then the orange develops and the black is 'pushed' to the back and edges of the fins before disappearing  :)

Don't forget that with such a lot of fish in a small tank, you'll need to be doing water changes every day to stop their wastes building up and poisoning them. They do need to go to a pond, ASAP though :)

Hmmmm... interesting. We have a pond, but we have big koi's 12-15 of them in there, would the koi's not eat these little guys?

The koi might eat them, if they're very, very small, but it's not likely.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back