What Type Of Algae Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wingnuts

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know what type of algae this is, how to eradicate it and how to prevent it, or any other algae coming back?

The tank is a Juwel Rio 180 with a Fluval 305 filter and 2 T8 tubes (only on 4 hours a day), both I think are for plant growth?

If you need any more info in order to point me in the right direction please ask.

Thanks in advance,

Wingnuts.

Attachments

• Algae 1.jpg
    Algae 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Algae 2.jpg
    Algae 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 111
Tis website may help you identify your algae.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Very useful information on that.

As for your lighting times of only 4 hours, i don't think thats enough time really, try 6 or 7 hours per day, see if that changes things after a week or so.

Check your flow from the filter is flowing throughout the tank, sometimes low flow will cause algae like that to occur.

Thanks for yuor reply,

I'll increase the lighting times and look at that website.

Once this is cured, what are your thoughts on CO2?

Wingnuts.

I'm no expert, just a begginer. But I've been having trouble with algae myself recently and having done a lot of research into it may have some useful advice. Just make sure others confirm it first!

I believe that t8s are pretty high intensity lighting? Not sure as I run LEDs myself which are a different ball game, but assuming they are.

By supplyin your tank with higher light levels you accelerate the growth of both plants and algae. Now algae will use the light whatever way they can, and will use tank nutrients regardless of flow. Plants on the other hand need a good nutrient and most importantly Carbon supply.

Because of this when you grow plants in a high light tank, you also have to increase ferts and co2. If the plants use all the co2, light and ferts they need and grow, this will also decrease algae growth. An easy way to make sure this happens is to dose liquid co2 daily and use Estimative Index (EI) for ferts... Which creates a completely non limiting environment for plant growth providing your flow is right.

One of the biggest problems for me was that my tank is trickle filter and as such I have bought a small circulation pump to push water around to those hard to reach areas...

I find the ferts section of this forum brilliant for all things plants

Thanks Fingersoft.

I'm away at the moment but will try your suggestion and report back on how it goes in more detail in a few days/week.

Thanks

Wingnuts

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back