What Type Of Algae Is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RavenDay

Reaction score
So I'm new to the saltwater world, and this is happening in my 36 gallon setup. It's been set up for a little over 5 weeks now, and the only stuff in there is a torch coral, green starburst coral, and palm tree coral- with 2 cleaner shrimp, one conch to maintain the diatom bloom, and one 8" brittle sea star that hitchhiked its way into the tank on my cultured liverock. 

All water parameters are perfect, but I've noticed that the tank smells (slightly sluphorous)... I have not been overfeeding, although I have been providing the inverts and torch coral some mysis shrimp every few days. 

Anyway, now that my end-of-cycle diatom bloom is coming to a close, I've noticed some new colors popping up around the tank, and I'm concerned that the deep red/ maroonish colors are cyanobacteria colonies. Does anyone else have any ideas what it is? If it is cyano or some other problematic outbreak, what should I do? I have close to 50lbs liverock in this tank, and I would really like to make sure it can stay. 

image-9.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-2.jpg

Looks like diatom still? Unless am looking in the wrong places.

It very well may be, but just to clarify -since you said you might be looking at the wrong spots- here are the same images, but with the new colors circled. 

Its just a dark red color that stands out from the rest of the diatoms...

9392272c-5a50-4f09-a458-bf715b2d0b8f.jpg

dcb2fe40-b248-4835-9dba-78c1018fb3da.jpg

54d7c198-bda8-4bd9-bdb5-5f05e496f2a5.jpg

Thanks for your help.

That is hair algae. Get a phosphate pad for starters. 

I had the samething grow all over my live rock. I used Seachem AlgaeFix for saltwater aquariums after a week or so its was completely dead and havent seen it come back in over a year. However i have a FOWLR tank you have a reef so not sure if its reef safe, but I'd  definitely look into it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back