What To Feed Shovelnose Catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stang8689

Reaction score
I just got a 5 to 6 inch shovelnose catfish,he wont eat bloodworms or flake, I tried feeding small pieces of hotdog as well. I am going to get some smaller feeder fish tonight but what's the best to feed him on a regular basis. Thanks

what shovelnose is he

but just feed good casnivore pellets

I do hope you have a large tank as those beasts will reach up to 45cm.
They can be fed feeder fish, but prepared foods are better in the long run to prevent vitamin problems.
I don't recommend feeder fish as it's illegal in the EU but whatever you do, don't feed hotdog...

How long have you had him? He may just need to settle in.

Some of the bigger catfish and chiclids can be very funny about their food; you might need to starve him out to a certain extent; Do you know how long it's been since he ate last? He could go at least a week without feeding. If you give in and get him feeder fish every time, he'll never start eating a proper diet!

How big a tank is it in?
Its best to try and get them onto pellets young because the bigger they get the harder it will be. Live fish arnt worth the risk IMO there just no need when they are normally tempted onto pellets or dead foods.

I live in the US he's in my 150 gallon ill be building a huge tank in a year or so but what kind of pellets and would they be available at my lfs. He's a Lima shovelnose and I had him for 4 days so sure its been 5 days since he ate. What kind of prepared foods should I try.

Most LFS should stock large pellets for meat eating fish. You could try him with prawns or cod; any seafood would do.

It might just turn out to be bit of a battle of wills; very, very few fish will actually starve themselvs to death; you just have to keep on offering things...

I live in the US he's in my 150 gallon ill be building a huge tank in a year or so but what kind of pellets and would they be available at my lfs. He's a Lima shovelnose and I had him for 4 days so sure its been 5 days since he ate. What kind of prepared foods should I try.
Limas do great in groups so you would be best to get 2-3 more which will be fine in a 150G until they get to about 12" and then they will need a bigger tank. They will take things like prawns, shrimp and bits of dead fish like tilipia.

What about adding a tiger shovelnose that's what I meant to get would they be good together

What about adding a tiger shovelnose that's what I meant to get would they be good together
Fully grown a tiger would bully it. I think your best to stick to limas while you only have a 150G. A tiger will need a tank atleast 16x8x8 feet. Limas are great little cats anyway.

Would they be ok together until the tiger got bigger then him

Wow I've just got a tiger shovelnose it's approx 7inchs in a 450 ltr tank with a fireel approx 30 inches long,will they be ok together please

Most reactions

trending

Back