What To Do To Make Tank Safe For New Fish? And Carbon Question.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My betta died. He had a really bad bacterial infection that came out of no where. I have no idea how he got so sick as I was always on top of water changes and the stats were always where they were suppose to be so no spikes or nothing. Other than obviously taking my dead guy out and doing a big water change is there anything else I need to do? I don't want to get a replacement and condem it to death.

Also. I have a carbon filter but I've had t for a while so I was told after a while carbon is ineffective. If that's true can I use a broad spectrum treatment on the new fish without having to remove the filter? I can't get the carbon out of the filter.

Sorry to hear of your betta :(

It is true that carbon does not last particularly long when in use, a few weeks at best imo.

You should be able to get into the filter to be able to remove, maintain, replace media, clean the impeller etc in any filter. I have never come across a filter that you cannot get into.

But to answer your question, a large water change, like youve already done, is your best bet, check / test water aprameters (btw are you using a liquid based test kit or one of these dip strip kits?) and replacing the carbon media is about all you can do for now.

And last couple of questions, you do have a heater in the tank? if so, what was the water temp?
And do you clean/maintain the filter regularly?

Sorry if these are silly or obvious questions for you, just checking that you have evereything.

So you're saying I should cut into the blue mesh to get the carbon out? Should I replace the carbon? What does carbon even do? If it's ineffective after a bit why would I even need it?

The carbon part will still act as a sponge filter, helping to clean the water and house the bacteria you need. The carbon is unnecessary IMO and will be inert by now anyway. I'd just rinse the whole pad in tank water and put it back in the filter.

I'm not sure why you would want to use an antibiotic on a new fish. If your water tests come out fine after the water change, then I'd say your good to go.

Ah, I see now, its actually part of the cartridge with some sponge media, just leave it or rip the carbon bit off, either way is fine. Thi sis slightly different carbon but the principle is the same, what it does is take out toxic metals or medication from the tank water. But after say, 4 weeks, its inert and useless as a carbon filter, it will have leached the stuff back into the tank by now.

IMO, no point in wasting money and time on adding anti biotics at this stage, theres probably nothing in the tank now to treat.

As long as the water parameters are spot on, plants growing and water at temp (as you did before 80F is prefect for bettas) then do not see any reason why you cannot get another betta :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back