What to do if Bettas accidentally bred?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TheCoolWolf

Reaction score
As the title says, I want to know what Iā€™m supposed to do if my Bettas accidentally bred? A male of mine has built a large bubble nest between an object and the wall of my pond. I donā€™t know what to do... On a side note, one of my croaking gouramis has also built a bubble nest in a sheltered corner of the same pond. Can anyone give me advice? :thanks: . My pond is 120ā€x72ā€x12ā€ or 300x180x30cm and approximately 450 gallons or 1700 litres. There are alot of fish in there, which is why Iā€™m worried if they spawn.

Male labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis) regularly build a bubblenest in their territory. It doesn't mean they have bred.

In a 10ft pond I wouldn't worry if they do breed. Some of the babies will survive and most will get eaten by other things in the pond. Just catch out the fish every 6-12 months and keep some and sell the rest.

Male labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis) regularly build a bubblenest in their territory. It doesn't mean they have bred.

In a 10ft pond I wouldn't worry if they do breed. Some of the babies will survive and most will get eaten by other things in the pond. Just catch out the fish every 6-12 months and keep some and sell the rest.
Yeah, thatā€™s what I thought too. Thank you for the input. I guess Iā€™ll just leave them be. Iā€™m only worried because I donā€™t really like the thought of the babies (if present) being eaten by the other fish. :/-_-

If you have both male and female in the same tank/pond and they breed its no accident.

I donā€™t really like the thought of the babies (if present) being eaten by the other fish
Big fish eat small fish just like nature intended.

I have some news, I donā€™t know if itā€™s good or bad. I found a bubblenest guarded by one of my male Bettas and it has eggs in it. I really want to save it, but Iā€™m not sure whether to transfer the eggs or wait and transfer them when theyā€™ve hatched. Any suggestions are appreciated :thumbs:

Male labyrinth fishes guard the eggs and fry for the first week or two of life. Just let him look after them and in a few weeks time if you see baby fish swimming on the surface, scoop them out in a bucket and move some inside to grow up.

Male labyrinth fishes guard the eggs and fry for the first week or two of life. Just let him look after them and in a few weeks time if you see baby fish swimming on the surface, scoop them out in a bucket and move some inside to grow up.
Thanks. Will do ^_^.

If it makes you feel any better I have both males and females together and have had a total of 1 baby survive. So predation is high with them.

Most reactions

Back