What Size Wave Maker For My Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rob_cool1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I currently have a aqua style 620t which has about 110l of water in. I has a Kent nano internal skimmer, a EFX 200 external filter and i have a small aqua internal 200 filter right near the bottom of the tank as the 'wave maker'. It pumps out 400 l/h but its all too big so i want a small wavemaker to replace it. All the ones ive seen are like 2000l/h which i think is to much in my tank :/

the ones ive seen is this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Imitated-Natural-Waver-Wave-Water-Maker-Pump-WM200-01-/170891857443?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item27c9f2ce23

but its only 200l/h 

or one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000L-H-Mini-Wave-Maker-PowerHead-Vibration-Driving-Marine-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-/261213562539?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cd18aa6ab

My current stocking is:
1 pair of common clownfish
1 cleaner shrimp
2 turbo snails
2 serith snails
a lump of green & pink zoa - about 10 heads
a lump of pulsing Xenia - about 30 - 40 heads
will have 2 anemones turn up tomorrow both about 1 - 3 inches big and a couple of hermits and maybe some more turbo snails :D
hundreds of tiny snails lol

I'm thinking the smaller 200l/h one as i have the xenia and soon the nems 

Cheers for the help :)
Rob

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Vortech MP-10 would work nicely on that tank.

Omg there so expensive :O I was thinking of something fairly cheap haha. What would be a good flow rate in my tank?

Cheers though, it does look very clever :L

You could get two Koralia pumps and a JBJ Pulse Duo.
There are also some Japanese made pumps WP-10 etc. that have been gaining popularity and are much cheaper than a vortech.

I mention the Vortech becuase, frankly once you use one you can't go back. They are totally controllable. Speed, pulse, duration, they have a feeding mode and a sleep mode that comes on automatically, they have a wave crest mode that kicks detritus off the sand allowing it to get into the sump...but yes...they are costly.

The above two are less so.

The JBJ is not really a wave-maker so much as a nice way to create turbulant flow but I used one for years and liked it. Good thing is, not costly.

Most reactions

trending

Back