What should I put in my tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fabfish

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what fish I should put in my 22 litre freshwater tank. The ph is 7.0 and the temperature is 24 degrees.

You said in your other thread that you use a conditioner 'that sets your pH to 7.0' http://www.fishforums.net/threads/both-my-new-catfish-died.451943/
What is the pH of your plain tap water without the conditioner, both freshly run, and some that's been allowed to stand for 24 hours?

What is the hardness (GH) of your tap water? You should be able to find this on the website of your water provider. We need a number and the unit (they could use anyone of half a dozen units) not some vague words. We need to keep fish suited to our water; some fish need hard water and others need soft water.

You said in your other thread that you use a conditioner 'that sets your pH to 7.0' http://www.fishforums.net/threads/both-my-new-catfish-died.451943/
What is the pH of your plain tap water without the conditioner, both freshly run, and some that's been allowed to stand for 24 hours?

What is the hardness (GH) of your tap water? You should be able to find this on the website of your water provider. We need a number and the unit (they could use anyone of half a dozen units) not some vague words. We need to keep fish suited to our water; some fish need hard water and others need soft water.

I have run out of ph strips and need to get more so I wouldn’t be able to cheak the ph of anything for a few days but this is what the provider said about the water

“The typical hardness level of water delivered in South East Water's area is between 12 – 45 mg/L. This means that the water being supplied to South East Water customers is considered "soft" by international standards.”

Can I ask which country you are in?

Last edited:
Can I ask which country you are in?

It's just that I know south east England has very hard water, sometimes referred to as liquid rock it is so hard. So presumably you are not in south east England, but south east somewhere else?

Australia

Ah, that explains it :) When you used litres I knew you were from somewhere other than the USA, and south east England has hard water.

Since you have soft water, a single betta, male or female, is suitable for your tank. You would also need some plants, either real or silk but not plastic as these can have sharp edges which can damage a male betta's long fins. Floating live plants will also help a betta feel at home.
More info http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-splendens-caresheet.423362/

Any suggestions on what fish I should put in my 22 litre freshwater tank. The ph is 7.0 and the temperature is 24 degrees.
A betta fish, a snail and some plants.
Or some shrimp and a snail, sand substrate, marimo moss ball and plants
You could also do a web search of "nano fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back