What Lighting Should I Use?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

monahan95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As you may have seen from my last topic I am starting a new 53 US Gallon cichlid tank. One question that keeps popping up in my head is "What lighting should I use" So I thought I would ask you guys? Should I stick with the standard t8 tubes that come with the Roma 200 or should I upgrade to really bring out the colour of the fish. I don't mind spending the money if it means my fish will look fantastic :D

Please help!

I got a couple LED fixtures with 10000k white and actinic blue and they look fantastic. Search on Ebay for them, the brand I got was beamswork and they were very inexpensive compared to others.

Jesse said:
I got a couple LED fixtures with 10000k white and actinic blue and they look fantastic. Search on Ebay for them, the brand I got was beamswork and they were very inexpensive compared to others.

Beamsworks LED are good, I have these but at 6,500k.

Here is an example of Beamswork LED that may fit your tank

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24x-3W-6500K-white-Beamswork-EVO-36-aquarium-LED-light-90-120cm-planted-aquarium-/151062941188?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item232c0d8e04

10,000k is more for Marine really, the amount of white light is less beneficial for tropical plants, won't really affect the fish but if you're planning on growing plants too, then 6,500k is advisable imo. Even though I know you are doing a cichlid tank so plants are not a priority but just for your info.

The higher the wattage per LED the higher tech you will be going. So if you were to purchase 3w per led and is amounting to over 1w per litre, this would be regarded as going towards high tech and you would then need to supply ferts and co2 (liquid or pressurised) to help give the plant the nutrients they would need to absorb that amount of light. Hope that makes sense.

There are a lot of LED out here that are fairly inexpensive and can be decent value. But would suggest you do some research as to what would be suitable for your tank.

But if you are planning to stay low tech and would like to see plant growth but not on a high tech level, then I might suggest T5 lights, these are good for plant growth as does have decent amount of brightness to them as well.

I am planning to do T5 lights on my Roma 90 for lower tech plants. 

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back