What Lighting/combination Is Best ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kylealastairlove

Fish Addict
Reaction score
im trying to find out as much as i can before i go for a massive re-scape soooo..
im unsure at what kind of lighting to use on my tank, i have a juwel lido and atm am using a plain and simple 'day' and a 'colour' tube as well 
i dont know what combination to go with being as there is "day", "colour" and "nature" tubes i really like the colour tube because it makes quite a noticeable difference in the colour of the fish and if i wasnt to use on i feel id be losing out and the nature light will obviously be good for the plants but has the same colour enhancing properties as the colour tube! although i feel like its mandatory to have just a natural "day" light tube

i really cant make up my mind any suggestions ? :) im un sure on what to go with 

i want to ensure good healthy plant growth as well as having colour enhancement (when i take out the "colour" light now i feel like my tank just loses all its lovely colours lol) but the nature light isnt as bright looking as "day" light, would the "day" light be as sufficient in ensuring plant growth? 

Lighting is a bit of a complex subject.  If I may start with a few generalities...

Aquarium plants require light primarily in the red and blue wavelengths for photosynthesis.  This combination however does create a purplish hue which not everyone likes (I don't for one), but more importantly for the plants, the tubes that have primarily this combination tend to be less intense light, so right off the bat you have an issue.  Studies with lighting that added green to the red/blue did result in improved growth of the plants.  It seems likely that it is the increased intensity that is providing the benefit, since green light is largely reflected (hence, the green leaves we see) although green is minimally used in photosynthesis.  Tubes commonly called "enhanced daylight" or similar usually have this mix.

Colour temperature of light is measured in degrees Kelvin.  This measurement has nothing to do with intensity per say, but the tubes with a rating between 5000K and 7000K tend to work best both for plant growth and natural colour rendition.  The daylight tubes are usually around 6500K.  The nice thing about having two tubes is that you can mix them for a warmer or cooler white depending upon your preferences.  I use a combo of one 5000K and one 6500K over my dual-tube tanks and have found over the years that this produces the best results.

Byron.

again Byron, you really seem to know your stuff! 

i was pretty confused as to what to go with i think for now i will stick with the day & colour tubes, when it comes to the time to replace the tubes i'll probably just go with 2 daylight tubes being as i can get 2 for roughly £20 where as if i was to buy colour or nature or blue or any of that id have to buy them individually and itd cost me more so might as well save myself a bit of money, i think im going to try create plenty of shady areas in the tank so i guess the colour or nature tubes arent really that important anyway 

Tubes do have a finite life and this ends well before the tube actually burns out.  T8 tubes should be replaced every 12 months; some of the more expensive and better made tubes like the Hagen "Glo" series can go to maybe 18 months, but I wouldn't go further.  I use the Life-Glo over my single-tube tanks and have noticed issues with less light (algae increasing is usually a clue) between 12-18 months.  I use the less expensive Sylvania and Phillips 5000K and 6500K daylight tubes on my dual-tube tanks and replace these at 12 months; I stagger them, so one gets replaced in say January, the second in July, rather than both at the same time, as this means you are not creating such a difference as when both are replaced together.  The reduction in intensity with any of these tubes is quite significant, and quick to begin.

T5 may be OK for a tad longer, not sure.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back