What Kind Of Snail Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liv15

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got a load of snails from my friend's pond because she has LOADS of them! I do not know what kind of snail they are though, please help? If it helps we live in wales so the weather is not very warm. Also these snails are probably about the size of a 20 pence coin (some maybe smaller) but my friend says they can get about the size of a 50 pence coin. They have a little hole in the middle of their shells (as you can see from the pictures). Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 72
That would be a Planorbid. Exact species ID beyond that can be difficult, but if they do reach the claimed size then they would be Planorbis corneus, which do need a pretty cold environment to thrive and often do not last long indoors unless the tank is unheated and room temperature quite cold.

Donya said:
That would be a Planorbid. Exact species ID beyond that can be difficult, but if they do reach the claimed size then they would be Planorbis corneus, which do need a pretty cold environment to thrive and often do not last long indoors unless the tank is unheated and room temperature quite cold.
Do you know why they have those white patches on their shells?

cool! I like them but unfortunate they prefer cooler temps otherwise might get some of these.

Kinda remind me of Ramshorns but obviously different colours and sizes.

White patches are due to shell erosion. To avoid it, the pH needs to be above 7.0 (usually by a reasonable margin, not sitting right on the line) and the water needs to be fairly hard as well. Planorbids are able to create stable populations in acidic, softer water because of how fast they reach breeding age, but the erosion eventually sets in and causes shortened lifespans and smaller maximum sizes. 

Donya said:

White patches are due to shell erosion. To avoid it, the pH needs to be above 7.0 (usually by a reasonable margin, not sitting right on the line) and the water needs to be fairly hard as well. Planorbids are able to create stable populations in acidic, softer water because of how fast they reach breeding age, but the erosion eventually sets in and causes shortened lifespans and smaller maximum sizes.
I google image searched planorbid but none have that little hole in the middle of their shell, in the centre of the spiral. Is this hole because of shell erosion or is it just the type of snail?

Yep, it's the erosion. Holes there are fairly common on Planorbids with shell erosion in that area.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back