What kind of pleco do I have?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

plaidclash

Reaction score
Yikes. Two years ago I bought a pretty smallish (maybe four or five inch) plecostomus from my local pet store. He was labeled as a bristlenose. He lives in a 40 gallon tank with my painted turtles... I know, weird, but he's very healthy and active and eats well. Never had any issues with my turtles at all! But the other day I was looking at him and noticed that he's gotten a little big to be a bristlenose. I measured as accurately as I could and he seems to be a little over seven inches long. He does not have any bristles on his face so I thought he could be a female (I'm sticking with calling him "he" regardless lol). But don't bristlenoses only get to be about six inches? He eats well but not well enough to be bigger than average! I'm just wondering if he's not a bristlenose after all. Maybe common or sailfin? I'll upload some pics, although the lighting is awful right now. I can add more tomorrow in the daylight if need be.

tldr; my "bristlenose" pleco is over 7 inches long and has no bristles. Could you tell me what kind of pleco he actually is, if he turns out not to be a bristlenose?
IMG_3281.JPG IMG_3282.JPG IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3292.JPG IMG_3308.JPG

Bristlenose plecos typically have a rounded Caudal fin and more uniform spots on the head area, and females are typically rounded, this fish appears male.
I would assume, it's a sailfin due to its dorsal,

Bristlenose plecos typically have a rounded Caudal fin and more uniform spots on the head area, and females are typically rounded, this fish appears male.
I would assume, it's a sailfin due to its dorsal,
After some further research I can come
To the assumption that this is a common pleco due to the arrangement of its blochy spotted pattern

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back