What kind of fish is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today i got this fish but he is little more active than pleco. His face looks little like frog. I want to know what type of fish is this

Attachments

• tmp-cam-964690228.jpg
    tmp-cam-964690228.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 361
it's a type of goby but they are found all over the world so depending on where it was caught will determine what species it is.

it's a type of goby but they are found all over the world so depending on where it was caught will determine what species it is.
I found it in lake of india. What is thier food? And what size will they grow? Hows they with other fishes?

Need a picture of the fish taken from the side if you want a more accurate ID.

Most gobies are small and grow to 2-4 inches long. Freshwater species are usually smaller than marine species.

They are all peaceful to each other and other species. Males sometimes argue over territory when breeding but their arguments involve a bit of push n shove and then they go back to their cave. They eat anything that sinks to the bottom ranging from prawn, fish, small insects, brineshrimp, daphnia, anything basically.

Need a picture of the fish taken from the side if you want a more accurate ID.

Most gobies are small and grow to 2-4 inches long. Freshwater species are usually smaller than marine species.

They are all peaceful to each other and other species. Males sometimes argue over territory when breeding but their arguments involve a bit of push n shove and then they go back to their cave. They eat anything that sinks to the bottom ranging from prawn, fish, small insects, brineshrimp, daphnia, anything basically.
I have other clear pic but its top view

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1193378729.jpg
    tmp-cam-1193378729.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 319
Top view isn't helpful. It's like trying to identify a human by looking down onto the top of their head. :)

I found it in lake of india. What is thier food? And what size will they grow? Hows they with other fishes?

Why are you catching wild fish and putting them in a tank when you have no idea what they are how big they will grow or what to feed them?

Take the fish back to where you got then and release them now.

Why are you catching wild fish and putting them in a tank when you have no idea what they are how big they will grow or what to feed them?

Take the fish back to where you got then and release them now.
No nickAu. I bring them for my friends lake. I released 28 of them in lake. I kept one goby and 4 lampeye to know about them. Dont consider me irresponsible dear.

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1307995697.jpg
    tmp-cam-1307995697.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 331
The following website has all the currently known freshwater fishes found in India. Look at the fish in the Family Gobiidae. There's 20 pages so I will let you look thru them :)

https://www.fishbase.de/country/Cou...1&c_code=356&vhabitat=fresh&cpresence=present

A lot of gobies look similar especially when stressed, so let the fish settle down in an established tank for a day or so and then photograph it and compare pictures. :)

Dont consider me irresponsible
Well I do, you do not know what the fish eats how big it will grow or anything about it but you capture it and put it in a tank.

To be fair to the OP, going back 100 years and all aquarium fish were originally caught by someone who knew nothing about them and it was only through trial and error that people were able to keep fish alive in captivity. Collecting a few fish from a pond/ lake and keeping them in an aquarium isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as most of the fish remain in the pond it is not likely to affect wild populations.

The only issue with collecting fish from a lake or pond is do not return those fish back to the wild if they have been in an aquarium that has had other non native aquarium fish or plants in. Aquariums are full of microscopic organisms that can infect any fish put in the tank, and even tho the fish might not show any symptoms, they can still carry diseases. If you put aquarium fish back in the wild, they can introduce aquarium fish diseases to the wild.

Well I do, you do not know what the fish eats how big it will grow or anything about it but you capture it and put it in a tank.
Look my friend i think this is not place for debate.Here we gain or give information about what we dont know or what new hobbyist want to know simultaneously. you are saying if you dont know something then dont do that but thats not the thing for learning something.if i want to save them from death due to lack of water by shifting them in other lake where water always available then at least i have to know what they eat as a hobbyist.thats why im asking here to know what they eat. Therefore i kept 1 goby and 4 lampeye to know about them.If you do that only what you know then you can not gain something.
I like your caring behaviour about fishes.
If you really care for fishes and animals then you should stop keeping them for your personal purposes.
Thank you ☺️

Most reactions

trending

Back