What is wrong with the cardinal tetra?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

acg200587

Reaction score
Hi, after having an issue with cardinal tetras in a new tank and losing 4 out of 6, weā€™ve managed to keep our other two with daily water changes and they were back to good health albeit a bit lonely. Anyway all our ammonia and nitrite levels were good so we added some more cardinals at the weekend and Iā€™ve noticed one doesnā€™t look too good. It has a sort of lump on the top fin and I have no idea what it is, Iā€™ve attached a photo.

Attachments

• 6963EF22-AF84-465E-817B-789DC16B60E7.jpeg
    6963EF22-AF84-465E-817B-789DC16B60E7.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 205
Do you know if it was there when you got them? I would take it back and get another one, myself.

It wasnā€™t there when we originally got it on Sunday. The water levels are all still reading as good with 0 nitrite and ammonia. It doesnā€™t look like white spot. Iā€™ve also noticed a couple of them have slightly swollen bellies, could this be because they are carrying eggs or will they still be too young?

it has a bacterial infection like neon disease. you need to treat it with anti-biotics asap or they will all die.

I would isolate it in a QT tank. You can try antibiotics as Colin suggests and see if they help. I would just return it since you just bought it. Cardinals are suppose to be resistant to Neon Tetra Disease but it looks like what some of my neonā€™s developed. Unfortunately, in that case, antibiotics did not help and I ended up having to euthanize the fish in the end. Good luck!

neon disease is simply a bacterial infection that can affect any tetra. It's just most commonly seen on neons due to the numbers being produced for the local market.

Can you clarify, please as Iā€™m a little confused. When you say neon disease are you referring to something other than NTD? If you are referring to False Neon Tetra then yes, it is bacterial. True Neon Tetra Disease is parasitic.

Last edited:
The fish died last night, the rest look okay but one has a similar thing going on with his fin now. I hope the two cardinals that we tried really hard to save the last time donā€™t end up infected now. Really thinking of giving up keeping fish already. Is there any place to buy fish which is better? Weā€™ve been using a fish shop in Dobbies garden centre and Iā€™m not convinced the fish were that healthy when we got them

So sorry to hear if your tetraā€™s death. I have my best luck with Tetraā€™s from a local store in my area.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back