What is wrong with my mollie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pnyklr3

Fish Addict
Reaction score
:eek: HELP!!!! I've just noticed that my mollie is either lazy or something is wrong. She swims fine, and eats well, but as she sits, she let's her tail float up toward the top of the tank until she is diagonal in the water. I have never had another fish do this before....has anybody else? I have some pictures of her doing this, but I don't know how to post them.

~Jade

My male gupps do that also. And one of my male balloon belly mollies floats head up alot. But as long as during swiming it is level it could just be a fun thing to do.

So, I just might have an acrobatic fish :lol: ! Can anyone let me know how to post pics for future reference? I thought I was computer saavy until I couldn't post a picture here! :p

yer my mollys do that too, i dno y tho? I think theyre just beein lazy personally! i crnt post piccys either- i dno y either!

theres a possiblity that this could be swimmers bladder. my guppy got this after having fry and died about a week later

Oh my gosh, really!?! She just had fry a few days ago (just less than a week)! On closer inspection, I think she may have a fungus on her tail. It is hard to determine though, because she is clamping her tail (only) a little and she is silver so white is hard to see. None of my other fish seem to have any problems, or fungus for that matter. I don't have room for a hosptial tank, so should I treat the entire 55 gallon tank just to be safe???

~Jade

Here is what she looks like swimming and resting (this is my first time posting pics...hope it works!)

Sep15030.jpg

Sep14028.jpg

Sometimes when she rests, her she is almost diagonal! Notice how her tail is clamped a bit? This is what worries me, too.
~Jade

In most cases of swim bladder they swim lop sided even when swimming. But if you think it could be swim bladder I would start treatment with some peeled peas. Frozzen or canned.

OK, I'm going to keep an extra good eye on her. If I see the slightest hint that it is a swim bladder problem, I'll start the pea treatment :p Thanks for all your help!!!

~Jade

hope it isn't swim bladder!

My balloon molly Mariposa had it and died after about 18 hours. :-( I still miss her. I wasn't fish savvy enough then to know what to do.

I'll keep the pea treatment in mind as well for my future. although hopefully many of us will not need such information.

good luck, and I hope your fishy improves!!

I'm fairly certain now that it's not her swim bladder. She has straightened out for the most part when she floats, and has always swam in a straight line. This has also been going on for about 3-4 days. Now, she is clamping her fins more, but she is also being perstered by a male who doesn't give it a second thought. I'll hope for the best!!

~Jade

I would still keep an eye on your mollie. I had one that swam that way for over a month and finally she died. At first I didnt think it was that bad, but she was struggling, except when it came to food. Is your mollie eating normally? Sometimes the pea trick does not work. I personally have not had any luck with it. If it is swim bladder (I hope it's not) keep the tank very very clean.

Good luck!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back