What is wrong with my black mollie?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

northpark

Reaction score
Ive had him for a few months. His original companion unexpectedly died over over a month ago and shortly after we got him 3 black mollie tank mates. Ever since hes looked incredibly small almost like hes shrinking. I know thats not the case, maybe its because the mew mollies are so much bigger hes a dwarf in comparison. I always make sure he eats though amd they never act affressively towards each other. But now he looks tattered and torn, he has a white thing protruding from under him, his fins are ripped up, gasping for air, and just lying on his side. This all happened over night. I removed him from the main tank for now as its not a matter of if hell die but when. Im currently treating the main tank (10g) for ich and added salt (5tbsp), ich medicine from walmart, and a little herbal bacterial infection treatment. Pictures are disturbing :(

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 185
Ich can be a very debilitating disease. When caught very early, it can be successfully treated with most species. If caught later, not all fish will recover. Mollies are particularly prone to ich.

Stress is a major factor in ich (as it is in 95% of all fish disease) and stress occurs from many things. Parameters (GH, KH and pH) are extremely important for mollies. Can you post these numbers for your source water?

The best ich treatment is heat and salt. Fortunately mollies tolerate booth very well. What temperature is the tank water? And how are you using salt (type of salt, level, etc)?

Never, never, never use more than one treatment at a time. These at the very least each stress most fish, so it can make things even worse. And some are not that effective anyway, so the additional stress is doubly debilitating. Do a major water change to remove as much of these medicines as you can, and then do the heat/salt alone [we need the answers to the above questions]. This will hopefully save the other fish.

Byron.

Ich can be a very debilitating disease. When caught very early, it can be successfully treated with most species. If caught later, not all fish will recover. Mollies are particularly prone to ich.

Stress is a major factor in ich (as it is in 95% of all fish disease) and stress occurs from many things. Parameters (GH, KH and pH) are extremely important for mollies. Can you post these numbers for your source water?

The best ich treatment is heat and salt. Fortunately mollies tolerate booth very well. What temperature is the tank water? And how are you using salt (type of salt, level, etc)?

Never, never, never use more than one treatment at a time. These at the very least each stress most fish, so it can make things even worse. And some are not that effective anyway, so the additional stress is doubly debilitating. Do a major water change to remove as much of these medicines as you can, and then do the heat/salt alone [we need the answers to the above questions]. This will hopefully save the other fish.

Byron.
I Have a preset heater that keeps the tank at 78, any recommendations on getting it up til i can acquire an adjustable heater?

I Have a preset heater that keeps the tank at 78, any recommendations on getting it up til i can acquire an adjustable heater?

You either need a tank heater to maintain a constant temperature or the room ambient temperature needs to be that high. If the room temp is 86F obviously the water in the aquarium will be close. But it has to remain there permanently. Fluctuating temperature of more than a couple degrees, or rapid, will only make ich worse and further stress the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back