What is up with this fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kimm87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
0922182041-1.jpg
I have a guppy in my tank that is swimming upside down with his body curved in a u his colors are normal not faded his fins arent clamped and hes still trying to find food even tho he cant get to the surface. All the other fish are fine i did a water change and added 2 tbs of sea salt to the tank. Yesterday he started swimming erratically over the bubbler like he had gotten stuck in the flow but later in the day he seemed fine when i got up this morning he was just laying on the bottom.
Heres a link to a short video clip it wont let me post video here

he has had something go wrong with his insides and is dying, put him down.

He died over night the other 4 all still seem fine

sorry to hear he died :(

generally when a fish starts spiralling or bending out of shape and having trouble swimming, it's time to put them down.

Bent spine or tbs could have been the problem. What are your water conditions?

Idk what the parameters are i dont have a test kit and havnt had time to get to petmart. A 3rd fish is dieing now he was fine and eatting last night. I was actually concerned about a differnt fish last night that seems fine now. Idk what is up with these fish they were all perfectly fine before i bought the snail infested plant.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.

Get the water tested and post a pic of the sick fish.

Plants, fish, shrimp, snails and other aquatic life should be quarantined for a month before being added to the display tank.

I went and got a test strip from petsmart im going to do a full clean of both tanks and try to get all the snails out because they irritate me.
I didnt quarantine because i only bought the plants to deal with a stressed fish. I should have done a dip on the plants but i didnt have bleach or peroxide

You could try adding salt to the tank. It can help with some issues.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have guppies or livebearers in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and increase it after 48 hours if there is no improvement so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

There was already salt in the tank i added it wen the fish started acting strange last week but it didnt help .
I ended up tearing the whole tank down i removed all the sand, plants, snails and wood. All i left in there is 3 guppies and tank equipment. Today im going to tear apart the frog tank and leave them with only a thin layer of sand because they are alsl not looking good. Im leaving some sand in the frog tank so the reflection doesnt freak them out

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back