What's new

What is this?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

MissyKay

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site. Even though I have kept fish for several years now, I am still very much an ameture on the subject. We got this "shark" for my daughter under the assumption it wouldn't get big and be freshwater. Now I am not sure. Can you please help me identify this fish? I am worrying it's a Columbian Shark Cat!!? It is in a 25 gallon tank with a few other tropical fish and an algea eater.

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_111832.jpg
    IMG_20180421_111832.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20180421_112149.jpg
    IMG_20180421_112149.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 198
I'm afraid it's even worse; I'm afraid you've got some sort of Pangasius, which get very, very large indeed; possibly around four feet in length :/

These fish, in most people's opinion, shouldn't be in the trade at all, and I'm really sorry you've got stuck with one. Is there any way you can take it back to the shop and complain, and insist they take it back?

If not, you might have to see if you can find a rescue or public aquarium that might take him in; you probably won't find a public aquarium that will take it, as most of them are full of rescue 'tankbusters' like this already, but it's worth a try. Could you tell us, just roughly, where in the world you are? We might be able to put you in touch with someone.

I don't want to worry you unduly, but some 'algae eaters' can grow very, very large too, depending on species.

I'm afraid it's even worse; I'm afraid you've got some sort of Pangasius, which get very, very large indeed; possibly around four feet in length :/

These fish, in most people's opinion, shouldn't be in the trade at all, and I'm really sorry you've got stuck with one. Is there any way you can take it back to the shop and complain, and insist they take it back?

If not, you might have to see if you can find a rescue or public aquarium that might take him in; you probably won't find a public aquarium that will take it, as most of them are full of rescue 'tankbusters' like this already, but it's worth a try. Could you tell us, just roughly, where in the world you are? We might be able to put you in touch with someone.

I don't want to worry you unduly, but some 'algae eaters' can grow very, very large too, depending on species.

The algea eater is the regular pleco. He is big but, not too big. He is staying pretty much the size he's been for quite a while. Don't they usually accomadate their environment?(not outgrow their tank) I got the shark at a Walmart!!!??? They seemed to be schooling and I originally had 3 but, 2 didn't make our tank emergency. They were originally only about an inch! Now it's almost 6!(or about, hard to measure) It's pretty skittish and is constantly moving. We've had it for around 6months. Has "feelers" like a catfish but, shaped like a shark. With it's quick growth I got worried and started looking into it more...which I should have done before getting him :( I live in Nebraska near the border of NE and KS. Would Walmart able to sell something like that?!

Last edited:
Iridescent shark, not a shark at all. They will not stay small. The whole "growing to fit the tank" is a huge misconception. Fish grow and do so constantly at varying rates depending on age and environment. When a tank is too small for a fish their body stops growing but their organs do not. This leads to stunting and with their organs being compressed due to their stunted body they become ill and die a slow death. Think of it as stuffing a Great Dane pup in a cage fit or a toy breed. While the cage is large enough for the dog as a puppy, as it ages it must grow leading to cramped and unhealthy conditions.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pangasionodon-hypophthalmus/

Nuts! He does look like an irredecent after I googled it and saw other pictures!! How is it ok for Walmart to sell these guys?! He could reach 4 feet!?! That's what I get for impulse fish buying and trusting Walmart fish people....what do I do with him? I don't want him to die or suffer for my ignorance. Am I in trouble with the pleco too? Everyone said get one of those, they are the obvious way to go for an algea eater in anything bigger than 10 gallons. Wish I had found this forum back then :( #feelingstupid

He could reach 4 feet!?! ....what do I do with him? I don't want him to die or suffer for my ignorance. Am I in trouble with the pleco too?
Have you ever thought of having an indoor pond? Perhaps a 10foot diameter indoor fish pond with some nice tropical water lilies and a couple of big LED spotlights above it.

Maybe Google search for public aquariums in your area or find an aquarium shop that deals with big fish. They will have big tanks and customers with big tanks and they can buy the fish off you and rehome it.

You can sell it on Ebay (as collect only) and specify it must go to home with a tank that is at least 8ft long.

Depending on what species of suckermouth catfish you have, you could be in trouble with that too. The common pleco Hypostomus plecostomus grows to 2ft long. The common gibbiceps catfish (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) which looks a lot like the common pleco, will reach 18inches long. Again, if you can find an aquarium store that deals in big fish, they will buy the pleco off you if it is too big for your tank.

Good suckermouth catfish for small aquariums are the common bristlenose and its longfin and albino variants, peppermint bristlenose, Peckoltias if you have some experience with fish, twig catfish (Farlowella sp), and whiptail catfish (Loricaria and Rineloricaria sp).

Have you ever thought of having an indoor pond? Perhaps a 10foot diameter indoor fish pond with some nice tropical water lilies and a couple of big LED spotlights above it.

Maybe Google search for public aquariums in your area or find an aquarium shop that deals with big fish. They will have big tanks and customers with big tanks and they can buy the fish off you and rehome it.

You can sell it on Ebay (as collect only) and specify it must go to home with a tank that is at least 8ft long.

Depending on what species of suckermouth catfish you have, you could be in trouble with that too. The common pleco Hypostomus plecostomus grows to 2ft long. The common gibbiceps catfish (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) which looks a lot like the common pleco, will reach 18inches long. Again, if you can find an aquarium store that deals in big fish, they will buy the pleco off you if it is too big for your tank.

Good suckermouth catfish for small aquariums are the common bristlenose and its longfin and albino variants, peppermint bristlenose, Peckoltias if you have some experience with fish, twig catfish (Farlowella sp), and whiptail catfish (Loricaria and Rineloricaria sp).

Never knew an indoor pond was a thing, sounds awesome! But, I'm pretty sure my landlord wouldn't agree lol. The 25gal. that I currently have is all the bigger they will allow. As far as I know the algea eater is definitely a pleco which they also said should stay the size of it's habitat...*sigh ...do they not? Or is it like the other, they will but, not good for them? This is frustrating, for the fish too I'm sure! Thanks for the help!!

Iridescent shark, not a shark at all. They will not stay small. The whole "growing to fit the tank" is a huge misconception. Fish grow and do so constantly at varying rates depending on age and environment. When a tank is too small for a fish their body stops growing but their organs do not. This leads to stunting and with their organs being compressed due to their stunted body they become ill and die a slow death. Think of it as stuffing a Great Dane pup in a cage fit or a toy breed. While the cage is large enough for the dog as a puppy, as it ages it must grow leading to cramped and unhealthy conditions.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pangasionodon-hypophthalmus/

Thanks for the help, Seeing pictures of the irredecent makes me fairly certain that is it!

Thanks for the help. Thinking it's an irredecent shark...either way, too big for a 25gal. Wish I had known...course you guys must hear that alot! Thanks for your time though! :)

No problem and don't let it bother you too much. I'm sure we've all made the mistake of getting fish that grow far too large for tank they end up in.

Fish do grow to their environment but they don't stop growing simply because they are in a small tank. Their growth rate slows down and even if they don't reach full size, many become too large for their tank when half grown. Your blue shark and pleco will be one of those and will probably reach 10-12inches long.

---------------------
Indoor ponds are cool altho my landlord won't let me make one either :)
We built one in the shop years ago. We used railway sleepers to make a rectangular frame about 20ft long x 8ft wide x 3ft high. We used thick metal brackets (shaped like an L) and screwed the brackets into the wood on the outside of the corners to hold the wood together. Then we lined it with several layers of heavy duty pond plastic, put a pond filter in it and filled it up. We had a couple of spotlights suspended above it and had water lilies and other pond plants in it. The marsh plants were put on an upsidedown milk crate in the water so their roots were wet but the leaves remained above water. We kept Koi in it.

Each week I would put the big syphon hose in the pond and run the hose out the door. Then use a 2 litre plastic Coke bottle (with the bottom cut off) as a gravel cleaner, and syphoned the gunk out, drained the pond half way and refilled it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back