What Is This Thick White Moss/algae Build Up In My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mike_nofx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, im currently cycling my tank and have noticed a thick white, cloudy looking formation on my driftwood.

It is only on the back of the driftwood, not on the front (where the viewing glass is).

Is it moss or algae or something? or is it bad for my tank??

Thanks

Hi, im currently cycling my tank and have noticed a thick white, cloudy looking formation on my driftwood.

It is only on the back of the driftwood, not on the front (where the viewing glass is).

Is it moss or algae or something? or is it bad for my tank??

Thanks

are you doing a fishless cycling?

Yes its a fishless cycle, and as i have no plants, the lights are hardly ever on.
I only have the lights on for a max of about 15 mins a day (just so i can look at the tank!).

Ammonia levels were quite high, around 7ppm. so i done a 10% water change about 2 hours ago, to try lower the ammonia levels. Could the high ammonia cause the white stuff?

Thanks

Will this fungus go away on its own? after a period of time?

I would only like to take the driftwood out and clean it as a last resort, as its quite a large piece of wood.

Is it harmful to fish?

As it is only on the very back of the wood, you dont really see it unless you go right round the side of it, you cant see it front on to the tank. So i wont mind waiting if it will just go away on its own......

How could i boil a 3' long piece of driftwood? Would just pouring boiling water over it with a jug be ok?

I will probably just keep vacuuming it till it goes away.

but will it harm the fish?

Thanks for all your advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back