What is this shrimp expelling?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Iā€™ve seen this happen a few times and was always confused.
I caught the tail end of this ā€œsessionā€.
He seems to expel something in a cloud of debris?!
Hopefully the video links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I'm an expert by any means, maybe it's sperm? Not sure how shrimp breed though.

Looks like it was shredding whatever bit of food/debris it was eating. When I feed brine shrimp and my cherries get hold of one carrying eggs they will bite into the egg sac and a cloud of eggs goes everywhere.

Not that I'm an expert by any means, maybe it's sperm? Not sure how shrimp breed though.

Oh my, Iļø donā€™t know?!
Great theory though!
Iļø thought it was female but Iļø could be wrong.
And itā€™s the only Amano in the tank so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a breeding thing?!

Looks like it was shredding whatever bit of food/debris it was eating. When I feed brine shrimp and my cherries get hold of one carrying eggs they will bite into the egg sac and a cloud of eggs goes everywhere.

Hummmm....the broken egg cloud sounds pretty accurate but Iļø donā€™t have any female shrimp (or fish) in the tank, other than this Amano in question.
Iā€™ve never seen her hold eggs herself, so Iā€™m not sure how sheā€™d get them, or even if sheā€™s a she.

And when it eats it never shoots out like a cloud.
This phenomenon Is very infrequent.

Last edited:
Iļø donā€™t know why my responses are showing up with ? With boxes around them and some letters are not correct! Iā€™m using Tapatalk, which Iļø donā€™t usually do

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back