What is this fish?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Twilko

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this board, here is a picture of a beautiful fish that I have in my tropical tank but I can't remember for the life of me what breed it is!
Please let me know as I'd love some more. It's silver/rainbow colour with a very long trailing dorsal fin.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 128
Congo tetra

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Congo tetra

Indeed indeed!

Google Congo Tetra for care information to see what you might need to do in order to keep the species happy and healthy!

There is something unusual about the fish in the photo...any chance of a better side view? The caudal fin is missing its extensions, and while this would apply to a female, the female does not have the extended dorsal. I agree at first glance this would seem to be a Congo, but...

Byron.

There is something unusual about the fish in the photo...any chance of a better side view? The caudal fin is missing its extensions, and while this would apply to a female, the female does not have the extended dorsal. I agree at first glance this would seem to be a Congo, but...

Byron.
I noticed it too and almost hesitated. But ive had some like this. I think its a congo.

There are several similar-looking species of characin from Africa, in the genus Alestopersius. These will be wild caught (the common Congo, Phenacogrammus interruptus, is now commercially raised) so much less likely to be available, at least here in NA, but in the UK or Europe perhaps more likely to be encountered.

This is a shoaling species (whatever it may be) so a group of six or preferably a few more. But I would pin down the species, as these are not small fish, and I don't know the tank size.

Last edited:
I agree with Byron. Looks female but also has male characteristics, the bluefish hue is more predominant in males as with her dorsal fin. The caudal fin suggests it's female :/

Hi thank you for all your replies. I've googled Congo Tetra and it looks just like one (it's about 6cm big too) .thank you!
My tank is 64 litre, getting 185 litre one at xmas so would like more of these tetras.

This is my favorite tetra! When you get more, you will like how they interact with each other. Mine are always swimming back and forth and 'sparring' with each other. Very peaceful, also. I have five males at the moment.

They also come in a yellowtail and an albino strain.

Mark

This is my favorite tetra! When you get more, you will like how they interact with each other. Mine are always swimming back and forth and 'sparring' with each other. Very peaceful, also. I have five males at the moment.

They also come in a yellowtail and an albino strain.

Mark
ooooh please post a picture or video! I'd love to see them!

Did you get them at the Aquarium Center?

I shall get a video now And post in a minute, it's a stunning fish even more so under the blue lighting, very gracegul

Most reactions

Back