What is the most humane way to cull guppies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jimbo_natale4

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have many guppies that I've bred that either have under desirable traits or bent spines and deformities, at the moment they are in a 20 gallon tub with a filter, aertor and heater and are fed regularly. Any ideas on how I should cull these guys? (Please keep moral code or whatever out of this conversation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally I euthanize by putting the fish under with clove oil (full strength, also sold as eugenol), letting it sit until the gills don't move after a full minute, then severing the spinal cord (right behind the head) with a knife. It's bloody, but it makes sure the fish is gone. (I heard very bad stories of fish not dying under clove oil alone) The fish do appear agitated as they go under, but this can be solved by slowly working up the clove oil levels instead of dropping the fish in full strength.
I've also heard of putting the fish in a bag, then slamming a rock or brick onto the fish, fast enough so the fish is gone in a moment. I haven't preformed this method, both because I haven't had the chance, and because I'm a little nervous to squish them. Just my own preference.
As a disclaimer, I don't know the exact levels of pain or anxiety that the fish feels during these. In my opinion, we can only try to make the fish as comfortable as we can, and the death quick.
(I really hope this reply isn't too graphic)

Let nature take it's course? (Aka lets the parents/larger fish eat them)

Any non deformed ones I'd advertise and give away free.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Some pet stores will take them especially if they are healthy. if your fish have a lot of deformities and bent spines they may not take them.

You might want to start investigating the cause of these deformities. While some may be due to inbreading, others may be caused by disease or mineral deficiencies. I would look into these issues. Guppies generally prefer harder water. If your water is too soft that might explain the deformities. you can address a water harness and mineral deficiencies with Sachem Equilibrium. Also Check your water carefully for any evidence or parasites and make sure your water parameters are stable and correct for the fish in your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back