kH = 12
gH = 8

In my 10 Gallon:
kH = 14
gH = 9

Are theses within normal range?

What is your PH?

My PH is currently at 6.8 - 7.0

I was having problems with my PH Dropping, so i added some PH Up, and a PH 7.0 Stabilizer to raise it, my PH before doing this was below 6.0, below what my test can go.

It seems to be pritty stable now, but i want to make sure by testing the KH and GH, but i have absolutly no idea what im looking for...

Could you tell me what the ideal range for KH and GH should be with a PH of 7.0?

Please let me know as soon as you can, cuz i realy need this info soon.
Thanks.

Do you inject CO2 into your tank? That could be one reason your PH changes. USe this chart:
http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=aq...stic&id=445
It's for calculating CO2, but has other uses. You line up your PH on the left and KH on the top. Where they meet shows your C02. If you don't inject CO2, your CO2 should be about 2-7. From what you said about your KH and PH, it seems like you ARE injecting CO2, and it's normal to have PH swings. They should be no more than 1 point though. If they are then maybe disconnect your CO2 system at night.

If you don't inject CO2... then I have no idea why your PH changes so much, and why your KH is so high.

I dont inject CO2, and i dont even know how to do that :blink:

I woke up one morning, and my water was very very cloudy, so i tested the PH, and it was at aprox 5.
So i went out and purchased some PH UP and PH Stabilizer, and i used them both to raise the ph of the tank.

So i was reading how KH can affect your ph, so i went out and purchased a KH and GH test kit, i tested the water, but the instructions dont say anything about what the KH and GH Should be... so thats why im asking....

The KH could be at 80, and i wouldent know if that was normal or not... So thats why im wondering what the KH and GH test result should be... i read if the kh is too low, it can cause the ph to jump around.

So could someone possibly tell me what the test result *normal* range should be? 10-15? 5-8? can someone just please give me a range?

FYI, i have freshwater fish. and no, i dont inject CO2.

Please advise.

did you read the topic I linked you to?

The KH depends on your PH. Normal CO2 levels are about 4 i think, so find your PH on the left of the chart, then go over till the number gets to 3 or 4, then go up and you'll find the KH.

EDIT:: Your KH should be about 2. Are you sure your test kits are good?

so you read it but must've missed the clear info in it
I'll make it bold so you may see it more clearly then.

GH & KH range for aquatic life
0-3 (0-50 ppm)..........................discus, arowanas, elephantnoses, neon & cardinal tetras and live plants.
3-6 (50-100 ppm).............most tropical fish including angelfish, cichlids, most tetras, botias and live plants.
6-11 (100-200 ppm)..................most tropical fish including swordtails, guppies, mollies and goldfish.
11-22 (200-400 ppm)...............Rift lake cichlids, goldfish and brackish water fish.

Um.... i always thought that a KH of 2 was too low....

wow, im like too confused :shout:

My test kit will only go as low as 1 kh, and the next step up is 2, upto unlimited (you keep adding drops untill the color changes, each drop is 1 KH)
And yes, my test kit is brand new, i just purchased it the other day.

All i know, is if the lowest the kit will go is 1, and the next step up is 2, then even 2 sounds too low... i was reading a post where this guy's KH was at 3, and this other guy said that it was too low.

Are you possitive that the KH in my tank is suppose to be 2? i mean that just sounds way too low...

============================
============================

**EDIT**

so you read it but must've missed the clear info in it
I'll make it bold so you may see it more clearly then.

GH & KH range for aquatic life
0-3 (0-50 ppm)..........................discus, arowanas, elephantnoses, neon & cardinal tetras and live plants.
3-6 (50-100 ppm).............most tropical fish including angelfish, cichlids, most tetras, botias and live plants.
6-11 (100-200 ppm)..................most tropical fish including swordtails, guppies, mollies and goldfish.
11-22 (200-400 ppm)...............Rift lake cichlids, goldfish and brackish water fish.

i never seen that when i was reading it :S

Ok, i just look at the article again, and i even did a search for the word "swordtail" using my browser, and it dont say anything about the range for aquatic life....
Are you possitive u gave me the right article?

The link i have is: http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html

*EDIT*
DUH, now I"M the idiot here...

What i did was click on ur link above, then i clicked on another link inside that article, without reading the whole thing...

Ok, i REALY REALY apologies to EVERYONE about my stupidity... I'll brb while i go hit myself in the head with a baseball bat. :shout:

:stupid:

Um.... i always thought that a KH of 2 was too low....

wow, im like too confused shout.gif

My test kit will only go as low as 1 kh, and the next step up is 2, upto unlimited (you keep adding drops untill the color changes, each drop is 1 KH)
And yes, my test kit is brand new, i just purchased it the other day.

All i know, is if the lowest the kit will go is 1, and the next step up is 2, then even 2 sounds too low... i was reading a post where this guy's KH was at 3, and this other guy said that it was too low.

Are you possitive that the KH in my tank is suppose to be 2? i mean that just sounds way too low...

KH is mainly used to find CO2 in a planted tank. You use the chart I gave and line up your KH and PH to get the CO2. When you don't inject CO2 into your tank, the normal levels are from about 3-7. So, I took your PH and used the chart until I got this:
co2diagramdw4.png

Apparently you have a CO2 level of 49, which is high enough to cause problems for fish, definately problems for inverts. I doubt you have this high a KH. I still think there's something wrong with your test kit, even if you just bought it... :unsure:

Most reactions

Back