What Is The Difference Between Aquarium Salt And Table Salt?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nessar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What is the difference between Aquarium salt and Table salt?

Table salt often contains added iodide which is poisonous to fish, Always check ingredients before using it. Aquarium salt is obviously always OK to use

Table salt often contains added iodide which is poisonous to fish, Always check ingredients before using it. Aquarium salt is obviously always OK to use
iodine isnt poisonous to fish. it is actually an important mineral. however, some species of fish are "salt intollerant". they dont do well in the ionized water (salt turns to ions when in solution). so it is unsafe to use with fish such as loaches, plecs, tetras, cories and other "scaleless fish". in an pinch, table salt is an OK substitute for aquarium salt-considering the species of fish. if you have kosher salt, absolutely the same thing as aquarium salt (no iodine...but both are NaCl...not to be confused with marine salt or epsom salt).
cheers!

one is sold for use to eat. the other, well it does nothing. oh, yeah, it make money for the LFS.

honestly, neither has a place in an Aquarium. although, i guess its ok as a MED. but then, it would not matter if you use Table or Aquarium. there are concerns about additives. but there seems no evidence to say they cause problems.

thanks guys :) I've just been using table salt for a salt bath for a couple of my platies. Checked and its just salt and an anti-caking agent that is Sodium Hexacyanoferrate, and seeing as its sodium I reckon it'll be okay to keep using it :) doesnt seem like theres much point in getting the Aquarium Salt then, especially seeing as its nearly a fiver from my lfs!

thanks guys :) I've just been using table salt for a salt bath for a couple of my platies. Checked and its just salt and an anti-caking agent that is Sodium Hexacyanoferrate, and seeing as its sodium I reckon it'll be okay to keep using it :) doesnt seem like theres much point in getting the Aquarium Salt then, especially seeing as its nearly a fiver from my lfs!

can i ask you to buy, Marine salt? It's what you really should be using! Sodium Chloride, is not all brackish fish need. :good:

Would that work better then? I'm using it to help treat fungus/fin rot and a possible parasite or injury.

Would that work better then? I'm using it to help treat fungus/fin rot and a possible parasite or injury.

:blush: :blush: Sorry, misunderstood. As a med, Aquarium is fine. :blush: Thought you were keeping them, low end brackish

Most reactions

trending

Back