What Happened To My Swordtails Pregnancy?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Moolly

Reaction score
When I bought my swordtail, the woman in the shop said that she picked out a 'nicely pregnant' one. As the days went past she seemed to be gradually getting bigger and bigger and thought she might pop at any moment, although my friend who has been keeping fish for nearly 10 years assured me that she will get even bigger and I still had a while yet.

Now, usually I can see her in a dark tank from across the room because she is so big and her gravid spot (not always reliable I know!) was so dark and huge! However this morning when I woke up, I had to search ages for her - because she looks like a regular little fishy! Completely streamlined now, no signs of a bump, only a significantly smaller gravid. I haven't seen any signs of fry though
unsure.png

I suppose it's possible that she is having them in stages or something and the first lot got eaten, but I just don't know! What do you think??

im no expert but it sounds like she gave birth to them, what happened to them after i dont know, i know when i had a platty she gave birth and i dident see the fry for 2-3 days

Ahhh you were correct! :) I was sat in front of the tank and there it was - I tiny little fry swimming in the plants! I do have a nursery it could go in, but I didn't want to stress it out by chasing after it with a net - although some other fish seem to have clocked on to where he's hiding and are just lingering, watching the plants . . .

We'll see what happens!!

glad to hear you found one, there should be afew more than one though (about 3-6) at a guess, dont quote me on that im not sure how many live breaders give birth to at a time, but its more than 2

Moolly said:
When I bought my swordtail, the woman in the shop said that she picked out a 'nicely pregnant' one. As the days went past she seemed to be gradually getting bigger and bigger and thought she might pop at any moment, although my friend who has been keeping fish for nearly 10 years assured me that she will get even bigger and I still had a while yet.

Now, usually I can see her in a dark tank from across the room because she is so big and her gravid spot (not always reliable I know!) was so dark and huge! However this morning when I woke up, I had to search ages for her - because she looks like a regular little fishy! Completely streamlined now, no signs of a bump, only a significantly smaller gravid. I haven't seen any signs of fry though
unsure.png

I suppose it's possible that she is having them in stages or something and the first lot got eaten, but I just don't know! What do you think??
cultivated swordtail's will usually have all of there fry within  less than a hour average brood size 30 +

mike455555 said:
she gave birth to them, what happened to them after i dont know,

Oh, I reckon I've got an idea. The fishy equivalent of some fava beans and a nice chianti.

If you have back filter I would check to make sure none were sucked up, I have had that happen.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back