Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What fish should go with my Senegal Bichir?

Discussion in 'Oddball's institute' started by Ethank984, May 15, 2018.

1. Ethank984

Ethank984 New Member

I am currently planning to stock a 90 gallon tank. It is currently completely empty, and filtration isn’t a problem, because I am willing to add more if needed. I am planning to put a Senegal bichir, but I don’t know what other fish should go in as well. I am interested in ropefish and Congo tetras, but I would prefer to have a couple of very large (in proportion to the tank size) centrepiece fish. Would tinfoil barbs work? If not, is there any other large fish that would be compatible? (Preferably a fish that is fine alone, not in a school) maybe a school of Angelfish?

#1 Ethank984, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Byron

Byron Member

Assuming the 90g tank is the standard dimensions, I would not recommend a Senegal Bichir. At 20 inches, this is almost half the length of a 90g, and the tank for this fish should be at least three times its length and the width greater, so something like a 60 by 24 inches tank minimum. More info here:
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/polypterus-senegalus-senegalus/

3. Ethank984

Ethank984 New Member

Oh, I thought they were a lot smaller than that. I’ve read quite a few where it says they only grow to 12 inches (16 inches maximum) http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/senegalbich/
    Are there any other Bichir that would work better?

4. Byron

Byron Member