What Fish Can I Put In A 55 Gallon Tank With My 2 Res (Red Eared Slide

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Crusader13

Reaction score
I just got 2 Gold Gourami and 3 Zebrafish and decided to put multiple animal species in the tank since we have attempted to put our fish in a separate tank and keep it maintained twice in 2 years and failed miserably, we have decided to just put them all in our turtle tank instead. The turtles keep on trying to eat the fish and my nearly sexually mature female RES have attempted to eat some of the fish (including the Gourami, surprisingly), but most of the plots were foiled by me, but she has nipped at them in an attempt to make them die that way though so she could eat them then. I thought that RES only ate their corpses after they died, but apparently that wasn't the case. I'm stuck between putting large fish in there (I.E: Angelfish, Mature Gourami, Bala's, Rainbowfish, etc.) or just a bunch of semi-aggressive and communities in there, but we all know that's not an option since most S.A's have a, "me big + you small = me eat you," rule, so that's not an option. And I'm not putting chinchilds in there, unless I don't have a choice. So is there some compatible community fish/semi-aggressive fish that my nearly grown female RES and my growing male RES could coexist with or don't find appetizing/appealing. Or are there some uber-tough/uber-strong fish that my RES wouldn't be able to lay a finger on?

Thanks, 

Isaiah.

P.S: I don't want to spend more than $20 just to meet these standards.

These are the fish I want to get:

2 Blue/2 Gold Gourami (Mature)
1 or 2 Angelfishes (if possible, mature).
And some community fish that fit my "requirements," XD . I.E/E.G: Tetra, Platies, Mollies, Dainos, Swordtails, etc., etc.

RES will try to eat any fish you put in with them. It is part of what they would eat in the wild.
If there is a compatable fish for them, I don't know what it is.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

i have sucsefully kept turtles with fish but the turtles and fish must be with each other from a very young age, if this is dont properly you can put anyhting from guppies to whopper cichlids with them,sadly because yours are old i would doubt you could jeep them

No, sliders (genus Trachemys) as a rule are too agressive to keep with fish in an enclosed environment like a tank. I've done it in ponds and I have no doubt that some people will say 'I've kept X fish with a RES for years and they're fine', but on the whole they will eventually try to eat any fish you keep with them.

Most reactions

Back