What Filter For A 350 Litre Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

darrene

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello all

i am looking to set up my 350l juwel tank for a tropical setup and would like to know what is the best general filter to get and what other hardware could be needed. its been long time since i have kept tropicals as i have spent the last 6 years in the marine hobby onlyy to have my system completely killed off by white spot

it depends on your budget. fluval are common, but it seems like 20% of fluval users have problems.

ehiem are apparently the best and msot long lasting with a hefty price tag.

tetre tec are cheaper with a similar type of filter system. perhaps build is not exactly the same, but loads of happy users.

what about the best type filter, undergravel, external cannister. are trickle filters any good for tropical

Undergravel filters still to be dead now. Canisters are pretty good, combo of bio, mech etc but the only thing I've noticed is that they dont really seem to have the ability to pick up as much of the crap as the old undergravel filters did.

Cant really say anything about trickle thru.

i think i am edging towards a cannister filter. although if anyone has any ideas on trickle filters.
that would be great

Another plus for the cannisters are that they are external. So even when you do your routien maintance you wornt have to disturb your fish so much.

hello all

i am looking to set up my 350l juwel tank for a tropical setup and would like to know what is the best general filter to get and what other hardware could be needed. its been long time since i have kept tropicals as i have spent the last 6 years in the marine hobby onlyy to have my system completely killed off by white spot

Rule of thumb for filters, its the single most important item bar the tank itself. So anything you skrimp on here could cause problems later. I personally wouldnt touch anything bar Eheim, thats just 15+ years of solid performance from them that makes me stick with them.

There are other brands but do some serious research on any issues, faults and other problems people have had. for the Juwel 350 id rip out the internal box thing and look at maybe an Eheim Pro2 or if you are flush and plan to keep messy fish even dare i say the Pro3 range. The Eheim Pro's are well regarded as the best on the market, but will cost you because of it. There is also the FX5 but ive heard a number of reports of faults, leaks and other things you dont want to happen....350litres of water pumping across the floor...no thanks.

In the ened its up to you and your budget. As above my personal choice would be an Eheim.

on my 400ltr tank I use 1x Eheim classic 2215 and 1x tetratec ex1200
both are suitable for running the tank alone but I use both so i have at least one in case of a breakdown of the other.

yer, good idea that. something else to consider actually...having 2 filters doing just enough for the tank each so if one fails the other can still handle the job.

i might get the Eheim classic 2215 as it will surely do a good job, i have heard nothing but good news on it and it won't quite break the bank. i already have a rena filter although i know this ain' much kop, but it can be used as emergency and extra backup although by the sounds of it eheim filters last for a very long time

could anyone give an opinion on what to get between a trickefilter and a canister filter
consider value for money. nad of course how well it does the job of filtering

Canister is the way to go. I am using an Eheiem 2026 external canister filter on my 250 litre tank. I am so happy that i went with the eheim its super quiet, easy to set up and maintain.

Most reactions

trending

Back