What Does It Mean When You Fish Swim At The Top Of The Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dsage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

i didn't water change of about 20% about 5 hours ago and my guppies are swimming at the top of the tank like they are trying to eat. i just did my test and they all came out fine, ammonia is zero, nitrite is zero,phosphate is zero and the hardness is 71.6 so i dont understand what the problem is. please can you give me advice that the problem could be. its just my guppies, the mollies are swimming around normally, so are the platy and the tetras. the tank is 140L, i have 7 guppies, 5 platies four mollies and 8 tetras. any advice would be great.

thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone

i didn't water change of about 20% about 5 hours ago and my guppies are swimming at the top of the tank like they are trying to eat. i just did my test and they all came out fine, ammonia is zero, nitrite is zero,phosphate is zero and the hardness is 71.6 so i dont understand what the problem is. please can you give me advice that the problem could be. its just my guppies, the mollies are swimming around normally, so are the platy and the tetras. the tank is 140L, i have 7 guppies, 5 platies four mollies and 8 tetras. any advice would be great.

thanks in advance.

i mean i did do a water change

do you have a big enough airstone? it could just be where the guppies been eating too fast and effecting there swimbladders, try adding a few cooked peas for the guppies to eat?

my guppies do this too. I find if I switch out the light they stop. I've wondered if they are too hot and trying to cool off ...?

my airstone is 18" long and works well. cooked peas, whats does that do? that interesting i have never heard of doing that. ok i will try that thanks for the advice. i amuse if they dont eat it within 5 minutes i should take them out straight away.

Possibly heat related. Either the water is too hot and affecting the fish directly, or, the water is too hot and affecting oxygen levels within the water and the fish are gasping for air.

The best way to ensure oxygen transfer to your water is to have the water slightly rippling by having the filter outlet an inch or so below your waters surface. Air stones don't actually do a deal as the bubbles are not in the water long enough to make any difference and don't burst until they reach the surface.

Cooked peas can relieve any digestive/constipation issues. They can be left in your tank for a while as they won't really foul your water.

Possibly heat related. Either the water is too hot and affecting the fish directly, or, the water is too hot and affecting oxygen levels within the water and the fish are gasping for air.

The best way to ensure oxygen transfer to your water is to have the water slightly rippling by having the filter outlet an inch or so below your waters surface. Air stones don't actually do a deal as the bubbles are not in the water long enough to make any difference and don't burst until they reach the surface.

Cooked peas can relieve any digestive/constipation issues. They can be left in your tank for a while as they won't really foul your water.

thank for the advice my temperature is 27.2 degrees, is that too hot because i was told that is about right to keep it at. but my filter outlet is probably lower than an inch so thanks for that info, i will change that now.

I keep my tank around 25 but it does creep up if the light has been on for a bit and I've also had the heating on.

that is a bit high, like minnnt says just a bit of water movement. my external filter trickles onto the surface and the sponge filter placed directly under the trickle pushes the disturbance round the tank(this acts as my air stone).
I would bring the temp down as the heat is effecting your oxygen

my tank temp is at 21-22 lol this is fine for everybody

I think Guppies would be alot happier at 24. I guess you other fish may dictate a happy medium though if you have any??

thanks everyone, you were a great help. i have changed the filter to make the water surface move a bit more and i will bring the temp down too. happy new year to you all. thanks again

hey guys just wanted to let you know that your advice worked :good: . they are swimming around happily again. thanks again for all your help. hope you all have a good new year :thanks:

Most reactions

trending

Back