What Does A Pregnant Dalmation Molly Look Like?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

J

Jozlyn

What does a pregnant Dalmation Molly look like? She's still young, only about 6 = 7 cm's long. I've had her about 8 weeks. She's a lot fatter than she was when I got her.

please post a picture, if you have one.

Very fat LOL

i dont have any pics sorry but they do get very fat indeed, once the back end squaires off their close to giving birth

Well if the belly is rounded and not slim then you could suggest it pregnant

Well if the belly is rounded and not slim then you could suggest it pregnant
Yes, her belly is rounded, much different than when we bought her home. I thought I could see a "gravid spot" last week but that's gone, prolly just my imagination

She's also not chasing the Guppies like she normally does. She also normally feeds (or looks for food) constantly, and she's not doing that either today.

hi jozlyn

they get so fat you think they are going to burst :) there is a square look to their bellies when getting closer.

she should sit somewhere she feels safe quite quietly and not really move around much, generally near the bottom.

one of the preg dalmation mollies at work gave birth during the night and the behaviour i noticed yesterday was...at feeding time she was the one at the bottom of the tank under the anubius just sitting there, flapping her fins a lot but not moving. then this morning...17 happy little fry...so cute :)

i could not see her gravid spot at all due to her intense black coverage howver the belly was incredibly square and literally about to burst :)

good luck with the bubbas...such cute little teeny tiny fellas :)

Ok, thanks, looks like I've got a bit of a wait ahead of me then, she's fat but she doesn't look like she's about to burst or anything! She was behaving strangely yesterday, she spent alot of time sitting on top of the filter which is not like her at all. Today she's almost back to normal, poking about in the gravel, looking for food, she still isn't chasing the Guppies again yet tho! This seemed to be her main form of entertainment - poke around for food - chase guppies - poke around for food - chase guppies.........

I know she'll eat her own fry but what about the other fish, are they in danger from them too? I have guppies (obviously!) Neon Tetra, a dwarf Gourami, Bumble Bee Goby (don't tell me about brackish water, I already know) and a bristle nose catfish.

Everything will eat them except for the tetra and the guppies because there mouths are to small. Guppies mouths are so small they cant even eat there own babies.

If the neons and guppies are big enough they can and will eat Molly fry. They might not eat them whole but I'm pretty sure all of those fish would gobble up the fry fast, especially the catfish!

well my silver mollie had her babies last night and she is in a tank with 7 other pregnant girls as i couldnt seperate due to logistics but this morning i had 12 little bubbas and everyone else was really hungry so i figured they hadnt filled up on babies :) obviously some would have been eaten but still this afternoon, in the same tank, there are 12 babes. i dont know if its pot luck or not but i am now quite comfortable with the girls in there and leaving them in there to birth.

Everything will eat them except for the tetra and the guppies because there mouths are to small. Guppies mouths are so small they cant even eat there own babies.

yes they do i have guppies and the mothers eat there own babies at birth and my serpea tetras yesterday eat 20 of my guppy fry that were 3/4 of an inch

Most reactions

trending

Back