What Do You Feed Your Dwarf Puffers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

novamadcars

Reaction score
hi im just wondering what other people feed thair dwarf puffers with as im just using frozen blood worm and frozen brine shrimp

bloodworm....and they LOVE those pest snails that infest tanks, always ask petstore for small ones...
On the subject of snails, I breed my own, that way I can give my DP's tiny newborn snails so that they get to crunch the shells to help keep their teeth in check.

Depending on who you ask, the overgrowing of teeth isn't as much of a problem in DP's as it is in other puffers. With these larger animals you are supposed to feed snails aproximately the size of the puffer's pupil-you can imagine how weeny and fiddly this is for DP's. Fortunatly they will take larger snails and almost 'suck' them out of their shells. Don't use snails that are more than a mouthful as then the snail has a slow and painful death.

I am somewhat of a stickler for doing things "by the book", so I have just spent half an hour of my day adding tiny tiny snails to my DP's set up. They now have a look of concentration on their faces, in my rather fanciful opinion, sculling up and down the tank hunting them out! Well worth the trouble in my opinion!

i feed frozen bloodworm or special mix which has loads of different invertibrates in.

in the summer i collect live food such as daphnia or ostracods.

snail are obviously important as dps are hunter puffers so their teeth grow fast compared to the lurking puffers

i sometimes breed my own but always make sure to have somewhere i can get them

Ive had Dwarves and other puffers before and am currently setting up another tank for a dwarf again :yahoo: Just miss my puffers sooo much! :hyper:
I fed/will feed my dwarf same sorta stuff, live/frozen bloodworm, frozen blackworms every once in a while, live.frozen brine shrimp, snails, small pieces of mussel...that sorta thing!

I feed frozen blood worm,and thats about it! I think he manages to munch the odd little baby MTS too :>

i feed mine live food only generally, they have brine shrimp, small blood worms and mosquito larvae, they do occasionally like a small piece os frozen muscle :)

I fed/will feed my dwarf same sorta stuff, live/frozen bloodworm, frozen blackworms every once in a while, live.frozen brine shrimp, snails, small pieces of mussel...that sorta thing!

What he said :lol:

Mine mainly like live bloodworm, brineshrimp (more for the fun factor as they're not particularly nutritious), small ramshorn and pond snails. Mine turn their noses up and small bits of mussel :rolleyes:

So far I have fed mine one batch of live bloodworm and now I'm using frozen. I have seen what looks like tiny tiny bloodyworms swimming in the water (about 3 weeks after I last put live bloodworm in) and the puffer fish go mad for them hunting them down, great to watch. They don't seem to go for frozen brineshrimp much and I always put all the pest snails from my main tank in with them and can't say I have noticed them eating them.

Such personable little fish, I love them. This is my setup, will be changing the substrate and getting more plants once I can afford to fit a proper light.

P1070431.jpg

P1070428.jpg

P1070423.jpg

P1070420.jpg

I feed mine frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. They are my favorite out of all my fish. I just love how their bellies ge big.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back