What Do Veggie Plecos Eat

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have never seen my pleco eat any of the veg that I give him so I was just wondering what the best things to feed them are...

I give:

Cucumber
Algae wafers
Potato

Please can people add to this list as to what they give their vegetarian plecos!! Need some ideas. p.s. everyone goes on about courgette but I don't eat it and buying a £3 vegetable just for one fish seems excessive.

courgette definately the best

they are 70p each in sainsburys, a llot more in tesco

sweet potato can be used apparently. i iuse potato sometimes not often as I find it can foul the water

algae wafers are good

Hmm may have to take a trip to waitrose.. that will be the 1st time something's cheaper in waitrose than tesco.

And typhoon courgette is an over priced cucumber.. that you cook!

I've never seen my plec eat peas but yeh that's another one I feed.

Thanks... keep them coming! :good:

I don't like either, and neither does my golden nugget.
I have no idea what he's eating, but he's alive.. haha :lol:

I told my boyfriend this morning that I wanted to go to waitrose to get a courgette because they're £3 in Tesco and he looked at me like I'm an absolute idiot and said "that's £3 a kilo not a courgette" :blush: Guess I can afford to feed my plec courgette after all!!

I told my boyfriend this morning that I wanted to go to waitrose to get a courgette because they're £3 in Tesco and he looked at me like I'm an absolute idiot and said "that's £3 a kilo not a courgette" :blush: Guess I can afford to feed my plec courgette after all!!

lol quality

is waitrose sainsburys is it? we don;t get waitrose roud here

courgette = cucumber? is it diff? ????
not so much

courgette = cucumber? is it diff? ????

I like cucumber I hate courgette lol

courgette more to it than the watery cucumber
not really, both are roughly the same, as far as nutrition is concerned. though as you say, there is more water in cucumber. however if given a choice, and it is marginal, give cucumber, lesss of its energy is in the form of sugars.

Seems my plec doesn't like courgette either.. does anyone have an L168?? If so what do you feed it??

So far mine eats wood and wood.

He doesn't eat cucumber, peas, courgette, lettuce, spinach, algae wafers or potatoe :rolleyes:

Seems my plec doesn't like courgette either.. does anyone have an L168?? If so what do you feed it??

strange cos planetcatfisjh.com says An algae eater that will require a constant vegetable foods along with the usual pleco fare.

I'd stick t the courgette . leave it overnight and see whether it has been chewed in the morning :good:

Yep I read that on planet catfish too :/ I have not left the courgette over night but all other veg I have left overnight and all day and he doesn't touch them. Even an algae wafer sat there all night before i removed it in the morning. I guess he must be eating but i'm just not sure what!!

strange cos planetcatfisjh.com says An algae eater that will require a constant vegetable foods along with the usual pleco fare.

I'd stick t the courgette . leave it overnight and see whether it has been chewed in the morning :good:
it may be the veg is not in the tank long enough. many plecos like their food, just the other side of fresh. many people do not leave it in long enough. it seems to be something to do with erroneous information that it rots in a few hours and messes up the water, which incidentally is total rot. depending on the size of your tank, three days is about as long as i have left it in the tank. i guess if you are over stocked or have duff filtration, it is just about possible for it to happen. but if it did, in that situation, its the keeper at fault not the veg. and just another point, most "veg" plecos are omnivores not herbivores, so a little proteen is worth it as a treat too.

Most reactions

trending

Back