The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Those dimensions give a total tank volume of 54 litres, 14 US gallons and 12 imperial gallons. But the tank won't hold that much water as you have to leave a gap between the water surface and the tank rim; and decor will displace some water. I once had a tank with those dimensions I called it a 45 litre tank even though the packaging said 54 litres. 45 litres = 12 US gallons and 10 imperial gallons.

The important dimensions are 60 x 30 cm (24 x 12 inches). This is the footprint of the tank and is the same as many 60 litre tanks, just not as tall.

OK, the dimensions indicate a 15 US gallon tank, 12.5 UK gallons. And the length is 60 cm (= 24 inches).

Back to your question is post #11, now we know the tank size. Flame tetras and neon tetras are options. Remember these are shoaling species so there must be a group. Six is usually suggested as the minimum, but more will always be better for the fish. There is not a lot of room in this tank, and these fish to grow. Flame reach 1.5 inches, neons around 1+ inches. Both are fairly quiet fish, meaning they are not active swimmers, so that is good in smaller tanks.

If this were me, I would keep the neons in mind but replace the Flame with maybe Ember Tetras, a group of 8-9. Being a much smaller fish, you can have a few more, which will make it more interesting, and give you options for additional species. Maybe a cory group (must have five-six minimum) for the substrate? One of the dwarf cory species in a group of 8-9 would be best.

Among the pencilfish, the Rocket or Diptail Pencilfish (Nannostomus eques) is one I often suggest because it is very quiet, swims at an oblique angle near the surface, so thus a good fish for smaller tanks of peaceful quiet fish, adding some more interest.

OK, the dimensions indicate a 15 US gallon tank, 12.5 UK gallons. And the length is 60 cm (= 24 inches).

Back to your question is post #11, now we know the tank size. Flame tetras and neon tetras are options. Remember these are shoaling species so there must be a group. Six is usually suggested as the minimum, but more will always be better for the fish. There is not a lot of room in this tank, and these fish to grow. Flame reach 1.5 inches, neons around 1+ inches. Both are fairly quiet fish, meaning they are not active swimmers, so that is good in smaller tanks.

If this were me, I would keep the neons in mind but replace the Flame with maybe Ember Tetras, a group of 8-9. Being a much smaller fish, you can have a few more, which will make it more interesting, and give you options for additional species. Maybe a cory group (must have five-six minimum) for the substrate? One of the dwarf cory species in a group of 8-9 would be best.

Among the pencilfish, the Rocket or Diptail Pencilfish (Nannostomus eques) is one I often suggest because it is very quiet, swims at an oblique angle near the surface, so thus a good fish for smaller tanks of peaceful quiet fish, adding some more interest.
its just i don`t ahve many stores nearby and any that i do are not as pleasing and ember tetras are not there. went down there the other day to take a look i saw some black widow tetras would they suit?

Sorry for the late reply my internet has been down

Those dimensions give a total tank volume of 54 litres, 14 US gallons and 12 imperial gallons. But the tank won't hold that much water as you have to leave a gap between the water surface and the tank rim; and decor will displace some water. I once had a tank with those dimensions I called it a 45 litre tank even though the packaging said 54 litres. 45 litres = 12 US gallons and 10 imperial gallons.

The important dimensions are 60 x 30 cm (24 x 12 inches). This is the footprint of the tank and is the same as many 60 litre tanks, just not as tall.
Noted

its just i don`t ahve many stores nearby and any that i do are not as pleasing and ember tetras are not there. went down there the other day to take a look i saw some black widow tetras would they suit?

No on the Black Skirt Tetras. This fish needs a much larger space. It also has some tendency to fin nip so this is even more important, as the physical space and the numbers in the group both impact aggressive tendencies.

Do not be in a hurry to buy fish just to have fish in the tank. Sometimes one has to wait for the fish one wants, and it is worth doing so. The wrong fish can have terrible consequences. And most stores have different species at different times, depending upon their source wholesaler.

Thanks for all the help i have bought my first fish on the weekend i got 9 neons and 3 cory catfish they are going along happily.

Thanks for all the help i have bought my first fish on the weekend i got 9 neons and 3 cory catfish they are going along happily.

You need another three of the cories. These are highly social shoaling fish and should have five or six.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back