What do guppy/endler hybrids look like?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
The LFS has some what are labelled as 'Endlers Guppies'. Now, by the name either these are endlers that someone has given the wrong name or an endler/guppy hybrid. I had a look in the tank, and.... It looked nothing like either. They were stripy, zebra patterned things. So is this what some hybrids look like or were they in the wrong tank?

Up untill recently, Endlers' were considered to be a subspecies of guppy and were often refered to as endler guppies.

Now thay have been identified as a closely related but seperate species and it is no longer correct to refer to them as guppies. They are now refered to as 'Endler's Livebearers'

Endlers' do however look a lot like guppies, so I suspect that the tank did not contain them anyway!

I'll ask when I go there next. Actually they looked like mini-cichlids. Not that I know what a mini cichlid looks like, but hey. They were cute though.

well guppies and endlers are so closlet realted i doubt theyd look stripey :/

Can you explain what you mean by 'stripey'? Endler's do have lines of color, as opposed to the generaly solid coloration of guppies. Hybrids usualy look like the fancy guppies you see with double swords etc. You can't realy tell the difefrence. A lot of fancy guppies actualy are endler's hybrids. One thing is certain, if the fish you say realy looked like striped, small cichlids, they were not guppies or endlers.

endlers and wild guppys are very close, in fact i dont even beleive that they are 2 differant species no mater what anyone says, these fish are just too simular.

the ones in ur store were likely wild guppys that were feeder guppys but grew up into beutiful wild bred guppys. endlers crossed with guppys wouldn't do u much, they are so simular i dont think there would be any notisable change in the young, they would just look like the parents.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back