What can I put in a 60 gallon tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Can you suggest me any peaceful barbs and catfish and how much to buy each

Can you suggest me any peaceful barbs and catfish and how much to buy each

My favourite medium-sized barb is the Black Ruby Barb, Pethia nigrofasciata. This is very peaceful (at least my shoal has been for 7-8 years now) and in a group of at least 10-12, with roughly half/half male and female, quite a lovely fish. I've had fry appear without my intervention provided there are some thick plants, especially java moss on the chunks of wood, to hide some of the eggs which will hatch.

Cory catfish in a group of at least 12 up to 15 or even more depending upon upper fish, any species you like. The common Whiptail (Rineloricaria parva) is a nice fish, one, two or three. These are fine with the cories.

Are they all going to have enough space in this tank
search

Are they all going to have enough space in this tank
search

Yes, but keep in mind I have been suggesting fish and suitable numbers of each species, but not necessarily all together depending what you decide about the Columbian tetras.

Ok so if I decide to give them another home what fishes do I get

Ok so if I decide to give them another home what fishes do I get

There are so many I don't know where to begin. Have a look (search online) at tetras, hatchetfish, cories, rasbora, barbs, danios, loaches, some rainbowfish. Most of these prefer soft water which you have (though you still need to sort out the pH, a fluctuation back and forth from 6.5 to 8 is dangerous if it is actual). It is easy to say what will or won't work together once we have some species you like to consider.

Another thing to keep in mind is that active fish and sedate fish rarely do well together because the activity will stress out sedate fish. That was why the barbs work better with the Columbian tetras than would say rasboras which are much less active. Danios are fairly active swimmers too.

Sorry to bother you again but if I get the Cory catfish can I just get 6 or more?

Sorry to bother you again but if I get the Cory catfish can I just get 6 or more?

In smaller tanks six might be about it, but when you have the space, it will be better for the cories to have a larger group. I have 46 in my 70g, and there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that this does make a difference to the fish. They are very social, within species and across species. You can mix species though it does seem preferable to have a few of each species when possible. There are 12 species represented within my group of 46, several are fry that hatched and grew up in the tank.

Ok so basically if I buy these fishes I would have
8 or 9 Columbia’s tetras

10-12 rosy barb or tiger barb half female/male

2 gouramies

12 Cory fish

Is this good for my 60 G tank

And about how much frog bit and water sprite should I buy

Last edited:
Ok so basically if I buy these fishes I would have
8 or 9 Columbia’s tetras

10-12 rosy barb or tiger barb half female/male

2 gouramies

12 Cory fish

Is this good for my 60 G tank

And about how much frog bit and water sprite should I buy

Numbers of species are fine. You have room for more, but down the road. The gourami will not appreciate the activity of the other upper fish, but you already have them and if you stay with the Columbian Tetras they will determine additional species.

Floating plants once settled will spread and reproduce quite rapidly. One of the Water Sprite and two or three Frogbit will probably work, but just in case I would get a couple Water Sprite. Both will take time to settle into a new environment, but just leave them. A complete liquid fertilizer might be advisable, Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is one of the best, and you use very little so a small bottle will last months here.

I can’t find none of those plants in my fishes store website can I use any other plants and also I have 4 algae balls

I can’t find none of those plants in my fishes store website can I use any other plants and also I have 4 algae balls

Floating plants is what we're discussing...Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce are the top ones as they are true floating plants with substance. Some stem plants work, like Wisteria, Pennywort (this is ideal). Smaller floating plants like Salvinia but there is not much too them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back