What are these snails and what do they do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flash4203

Reaction score
I think assassin but not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    739.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    767.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    636.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    675 KB · Views: 121
These are not assasin snails (Clea helena), but rather a species of Malaysian Trumpet Snail, which is the common name for several species in the family Thiariidae. My guess would be Tarebia granifera.

These are not assasin snails (Clea helena), but rather a species of Malaysian Trumpet Snail, which is the common name for several species in the family Thiariidae. My guess would be Tarebia granifera.

They do look like them. Are they harmless or a pest? I put three in my topical tank and have about 6 in my other tank.

Are they harmless or a pest?
They are harmless and they help keep your tank clean.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is actually a benefit to any aquarium for several reasons. It will not eat your plants at all. This snail also will not "muscle" your shrimp off of food meant for the shrimp. The Malaysian Trumpet Snail feeds on detritus and leftover food that is underneath the substrate. It actually burrows in the substrate and moves around throughout. You will rarely see this snail during the day. Occasionally it will emerge from the substrate. A cool thing is that sometimes you will see the substrate move and you will know that there is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail underneath doing its cleaning duties.
http://www.planetinverts.com/malaysian_trumpet_snail.html

They also make great free live fish food, My female Bettas love them.

Watch the white one,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back