What Are These? (name The Algeas)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
had a peak, add staghorn to the list :mad:

When blacking out, DON'T PEEK.... :blink: (Don't feed either).

Naughty boy :rolleyes:

An update! I forgot I had this thread and while researching to find better ways of wiping out algae i rediscovered it!
I'm sure by the last sentence you guessed that I'm still not rid of algae and you will have guessed rightly.
ill post a picture showing the situation but its basically not good no amount of ripping out upping of co2 and fast growers seem to have done the job yet. and now I have staghorn to add to the list.
also I managed to kill all but the tiniest amount of HC repeatedly tearing out algae which up rooted it and my pelia the pelia took it in its stride the hardy plant that it is but the HC soon melted which is a shame since A) it had finally started to grow in and B) I'm left looking for another foreground plant to take its place.
any way thats the words ill post a picture when I find my camera.

Staghorn is the bane of algaes IME.

Its those damn plecs I have I think stirring up the substrate when they want to 'bathe' in the san and letting ammonia out!

Andy

How did you get you HC to stay down?

With difficulty :) I gave up with it in anything but sand personally, and with larger bottom dwelling fish you may struggle aswell.

I didn't Ive given up if I use hc in my new nano or big tank ill be growing it emersed then filling the tank so ive already got the carpet grown before anything like fish or shrimps or even a mass of water has gone in.

I thought someone had been in my house.

Consider yourself reported to the police and I am going to use thes pics as evidence.

Andy

Your tank isn't as disgusting as mine, and I know for a fact you don't use aqua soil :p
ps. the plants you sent are doing really really well I just cut out 2/3s of their mass before taking those pictures alas they didn't help with the algae much

update time, rhizo subsided, staghorn became bba and the green spot algae got worse.
changed filter out let position and switched to a spray bar. I'm now cleaning my filter every 2 weeks and cleaning the tank better during maintenance.
I also upped plant mass and co2 significantly running the drop checker more or less yellow also today I bought some excel which I plan to overdose (with some guidance) in the hope it will clear my algae for good, wish me luck :)

As per TB comment 5ml per 40L

Glad to hear the plants are doing well.

Its one reason I moved away from the fast growers cos they were growing ridiculously fast in my tank.

Good luck with your fight

Andy

I'm having much the same thing happen in mine I have to cut them back every 5-8 days otherwise they overrun the tank entirely, id like to change them over at some point for HM and maybe chuck out (give away) the e tennelus for either l brasilensis (sp.?) or dwarf hair grass can't decide,all the plants I have with the exception of reopens and HC make my tank look tiny.
what ever the case with excel it looks like I'm winning :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back