What Are Some Signs Of Old Age In Guppies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have three guppies, whom are my first guppies ever, that I would guess to be two years old.  At the very minimum, one and a half years old.  I have a girl whom I believe is exhibiting signs of old age. 

During the day, she is as active as ever, swimming about the tank and socializing with the other girls.  But for the last three days a about an hour before lights go off, she has been resting on the bottom of the tank in the same general area.  Occasionally, she swims off the bottom, but she isn't as energetic.  I get worried about her the night before, but my morning, she seems back to normal.

Anyone here know what typical behavior or symptoms of an old guppy is?  She has been through many pregnancies and births under my care, and I'd hate to lose her.

Thanks for any help!

Grey hair, grey beard, saggy..
Uh hum..

Anyway - I'd say she's possibly going to bed early? A lot of my fish get into sleeping position before the lights go out. Get into a nice routine.
I'm not aware of any old age behaviour in fish..

Some people might be able to enlighten further!

lack of eating, less than normal activity, loss of coloration. All signs of old age.

I agree with ncguppy, those are all signs of oldness. 

we would love to see pictures!

Thanks for the info everyone.  She is less active than before, especially at night.  She is mostly grey, but I noticed what seemed like a very slow (over the course of two months) lightening of greyness.  Even in the male, his brilliant orange fins are become lighter.  It will be hard to let this generation go when the time comes.  :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back