What Are Good Plants For Baby Guppys To Hide In?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

leakintank

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys
What are the best plants for baby guppys to hide in, or do i have to remove them to stop them getting eaten.?
Also do guppies revert to duller colours if left to cross with each other?

i used to have a hygrophilia species that was great for hiding in (there were over a dozen platy fry in there for 3 weeks until i found em (i saw 2))

Not ALL fry will get eaten,and the more broods u get the higher the survival rate gets...but personally i wouldnt leave them to breed with their siblings

i used to have a hygrophilia species that was great for hiding in (there were over a dozen platy fry in there for 3 weeks until i found em (i saw 2))

Not ALL fry will get eaten,and the more broods u get the higher the survival rate gets...but personally i wouldnt leave them to breed with their siblings

Thanks for the reply craig.
I would like to see them grow to adulthood just to see what colours i get.

I use java moss for my livebearers. It is the stringy stuff in this picture.
GuppyClump.jpg

Anacharis is probably the best imho. They are very fast growing, very easy to care for, and are floating (which are the best for guppy fry as they like to be close to the top when they are young).

egeriadensa2.jpg

There is a picture of them. In some places they are considered a pest because they will grow under most conditions.

I use java moss for my livebearers. It is the stringy stuff in this picture.
GuppyClump.jpg

what is that java moss secured to to do that? i got some yesterday and have just placed it on my sand with a rock on each corner (its a 4inch by 4 inch square and quite dense)

I tied mine to a branch on the bog wood that you can see. If you don't tie it to something, it lays in a clump on the bottom of the tank somewhere. Like it is doing in this Heterandria formosa tank.
MossClump.jpg

I also like to use Elodea Cowboy. Lots of fish shops call it anacharis but that name is no longer considered correct for that plant.
AnacharisClump800.jpg

There is a picture of them. In some places they are considered a pest because they will grow under most conditions.

Lol that's weird because I had some anacharis and it died quickly. Well not really died, but it kept floating to the top and tuned all brown.

The Elodea does need more light than the java moss. Java moss will grow just from the light coming through a north facing window with no tank light. I have 2 tanks that were set up with available space in my fish room that I have no light for. Because I was putting heavy livebearers in them, I threw in a clump of java moss. It is still getting bigger.

amazon frogbit might be good,im gonna try that shortly..amazingly im also managing to keep some echinodorus schlueteri alive in my tank with low light and no CO2 (got fert balls in the localised substrate though)

I use Hornwort floating plants exclusively and can (almost) vouch for it.... that I have a 100% save rate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back