what am i doing wrong

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
for love nor money i cant seem to keep my plants alive. i had an entire two tanks full and im down to one miserably looking almost dead plant. ive tried using both t5 and t8 for very long periods of time awell as varing my times and temperatures and water flow and nothing but algae wants to live. what do i do.

We will need to know the complete picture, so can you provide us with data on the following:

Lighting--you mention T5 and T8, but what were the specific tubes (brand, spectrum, wattage), how many, and what size tank (volume and dimensions). Keep T5 and T8 separated, so we need this data for both, and how long you had each type.

Fertilizer--any used, and if yes, which and how often?

Parameters--what is your water GH?

Fish--presumably there were fish in the tank, and they were fed.

Plant species and numbers. Not all plants will do well with the same conditions.

Water changes--how much and how often?

Algae--what type?

okay so i cant really tell you a lot unfortunately for multiple reasons.

but what i can tell you is that the t5 i use(d) is an 8 watt with 6400k and is about 25 cm long. i cant tell you the brand as the bulb has lost the ink. the t 5 however i cant tell you much at all other than it was about 15 cm long but was for a 5 gal tank.

i cant tell you the precise water hardness(due to the inability of certain officials in the south African government) but it is quite hard. and relatively neutral but it can fluctuate depending.

i know that i'm asking a lot and not providing much info but its what i can do

i have had everything from bettas to angels and cories. and a few x ray tetras.

yes my tanks are cycled fully and i do water changes when necessary. usually once two twice a week depending if the water coming out of the tap is reasonably suitable.

Ah, I think I recall some of this initial issue now. There isn't much I can suggest, aside from basics, which if memory serves me i stated in the original thread(s).

could you maybe suggest a tough low maintenance plant that can do well in my situation and conditions. as i am kinda desperate

could you maybe suggest a tough low maintenance plant that can do well in my situation and conditions. as i am kinda desperate

Is this the 5 gallon tank? The pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum) is not too fussy. The corkscrew Val (Valisneria sp.) gets taller, and will thrive in moderately hard or harder water as you say you have. Both send out runners once established, and the tank will be full of plants in a few months. Floating plants should work too.

no it is the much bigger curved glass tank im actually not to sure of the exact size of it but im guessing its 75 + liters.

no it is the much bigger curved glass tank im actually not to sure of the exact size of it but im guessing its 75 + liters.

The same plants will work. Sword plants usually do well. Java Moss, Java Fern.

alright i will stop at the store tomorrow on the way home

what would the lighting hours be

alright i will stop at the store tomorrow on the way home

what would the lighting hours be

Depends upon the light intensity, the plant species, and algae. You can have the tank light on as minimal as five or six hours, or more. A timer is advisable because a set period of "day" consistent each 24 hours will benefit plants and fish.

i already have a timer and its currently doing 6 and a half hours split into two sections each day

i already have a timer and its currently doing 6 and a half hours split into two sections each day

That is not something I recommend. First, all fish, like all animals including humans, have a biological "clock" called the circadian rhythm. Without going into the technical, this means that we respond biologically to light/dark, and fish expect a period of daylight, a period of total darkness, and a dusk and dawn intervening period. As soon as you start throwing two periods of daylight at them, you mess up their circadian rhythm. At the very least this causes stress, and leads to other issues and poor health.

Plants have a similar "clock" though they seem to be able to adjust better. But this could still be part of their problem. In the following, "daylight" refers to the period(s) when the tank lighting is on, which would be the brightest light period(s).

The method you are using is commonly termed "siesta," as it involves a "rest" period mid-day between the two periods of "daylight." The reason this can work for plants has to do with the CO2 (carbon dioxide). The decomposition of organics produces CO2, along with respiration of fish, plants and some species of bacteria. During darkness or periods of non-daylight, the CO2 builds up. During periods of "daylight" when the tank lighting is on and the light is at its most intense, the photosynthesis of the plants uses the CO2, so the level of CO2 lessens naturally. At some point this may become insufficient for photosynthesis to continue. The siesta approach allows a period of "rest" when the CO2 can rebuild to some extent, and then be used during the following period of "daylight."

Aside from the issues for fish, this may or may not work. This depends upon the light intensity, the availability of other nutrients, and the duration of thee various light/dark periods. It is better to have the "daylight" as one continuous period, whatever the duration may have to be. Five or six hours is about minimum, at one go, but again the light intensity and nutrients factor in.

Byron.

right i will change it right away. that actually makes a lot of sense

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back