Weird Geo Behaviour

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
After doing a wc on the tank last night 2 of my geo albios started acting odd. The first one was just resting on the bottom showing some stress. Which was relativly normal as I had removed all the decor and plants and did a thorough vaccing then put everything back. However the one of the other geos was circling above the one "resting" and was flaring his gills & throat (never seen them flare before) as he was circling he was banking to one side. The geo that was resting then flared all its fins, they then came together nose to tail and was wiggling against each other. If the 3rd geo came near them they chased it off and they went back to this circling and wiggling against each other, only one was doing the gill flaring. This went on for about 20 mins, no lip locking, biting or damage being done, untill Chops interviened by getting inbetween them and stopping it completely. :rolleyes: This was all going on in the centre of the tank where it is clear of any decor.

Both are acting normal again this morning, not seen any of the behaviour of last night again. Just wondering if this was 2 males squabbling or male & female courting?

Sounds like courting to me, male on male would be a more full on for less time ordeal I'd say

We're talking about your tanks here too, it has to be breeding
laugh.gif

"Good boy chops"

Whats this got in relation to chops lol?

Lesley, sounds like theres love in the water in your house again. What do you do WC's with!? Whats your secret :p I'd love to know, because my male Jack is beating on his beloved partner again lol.

Well I have been watching them on and off all day, been absolutely fine till about 15 mins ago when this wiggling/slapping started again. Had a lip lock for a few seconds, seen 2 males cichlids lip lock before and it goes on for a while, male & female from what I have observed is shorter. The 3rd one is keeping well out of the way, I have a feeling I may have to remove this one from the tank :crazy:

So far over the last few days I have had 2 elliotti spawn, the rotties look like they are going for it again, Tinker the lutino oscar has had her breeding tube slightly down (thankfully it went back up again :crazy: ) the female krobia cant decide whether to spawn or not. Harry (red spot sev) has had his man pipe out (dont know why as he is in with other boys :lol: ) and the daemons are creating dunes in their tank :blink:

James, Chops split them up :lol:

Ohhhhh Chops is in the tank with them. That makes sense :p Maybe i skipped the line that mentioned something like that :p Haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back