Weird crawfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zebazto10q

Reaction score
I have this red swamp crawfish that has been with me for about 2 months. I haven't really noticed it until a week ago but hes extremely docile. He doesnt even try to hunt down or even pay attention to the fish in their. I have multiple ghost shrimp, 4 minnows, and 4 guppies with him and they even pick off and eat the aglae anf other stuff that grows on the crawfish. Is this normal? Does it mean anything?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

All fresh water crayfish (crawfish) are nocturnal so if it is sitting under a rock during the day that is normal. If it sits in the same place day and night and rarely moves, then that is not normal.

Does it respond to food? They should quickly respond to any food you put in the tank, and like to live in caves or burrows. They chew up plants and can climb out of the tank. And they will have a go at catching smaller fish and crustaceans if they are hungry.

Do you have a cave for it to hide under? You can use half a ceramic flower pot (cut from top to bottom), and lay the pot on its side to create a cave. Or a piece of pvp pipe that is longer than the crayfish and wide enough so it can easily crawl into it.

Make sure your water quality is good and do regular water changes and gravel cleans.

Make sure there are some minerals in the water. You want a general hardness above 150ppm. Don't let the pH get below 7.0.

All fresh water crayfish (crawfish) are nocturnal so if it is sitting under a rock during the day that is normal. If it sits in the same place day and night and rarely moves, then that is not normal.

Does it respond to food? They should quickly respond to any food you put in the tank, and like to live in caves or burrows. They chew up plants and can climb out of the tank. And they will have a go at catching smaller fish and crustaceans if they are hungry.

Do you have a cave for it to hide under? You can use half a ceramic flower pot (cut from top to bottom), and lay the pot on its side to create a cave. Or a piece of pvp pipe that is longer than the crayfish and wide enough so it can easily crawl into it.

Make sure your water quality is good and do regular water changes and gravel cleans.

Make sure there are some minerals in the water. You want a general hardness above 150ppm. Don't let the pH get below 7.0.
It responds to foos well. He mainly eats aglae wafers, shrimp pellets, commercial fish food, veggies, decaying plant and animal matter. It has a 3 hides to choose from but prefers the one he built.

Check him at night and see if he is wandering around. If he is then that is normal and he is probably just sleeping during the day when you have the tank light on.

Check him at night and see if he is wandering around. If he is then that is normal and he is probably just sleeping during the day when you have the tank light on.
Thanks!! Im shure he does crawfishy things during the night.

Your Cray might like something more meaty now n then, Go to a petstore buy a small cheap fish kill it wrap it in cling wrap and put it in the freezer for a few days, then take the cling wrap off and put it in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back