weight problem

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

adamozzz

Reaction score
Hi, I am planing to upgrade my my fish tank to 240L(~265L total=70gal) (120cmlx40dx50h) and would like to keep it on top of the Ikea Malm 6 drawer dresser, but i'm not sure if I can do it or only if reinforce it with e.g. steel corner brackets from inside. Before someone says that I cannot at all, I mention that I already keep my 110l fully stocked aquarium plus two plants and a printer on top.
Can anybody help please!

Hi I think its going to be a big risk. 1 gallon of water is about 8 pounds so your current tank is about 192llbs where as your new 70 gallon is about 560llbs. Even with the plants and printer Im not sure it would add up to what is essentially half a ton.

Personally I wouldnt put that kind of weight on ikea furniture. Not just from the weight but how would it handle a splash or spill from the tank or during water changes?

What brand is the tank? Or is it a bare glass tank? Im just wondering if there is a stand you could buy that would be more reliable?

Welcome to the forum as well :)
Wills

I would get a proper stand for it. Most kit form furniture is made from laminated particle board that will fall apart if wet.

And as mentioned by Wills, that new tank will weigh a lot.
1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram. 240 litres is 240kg, the equivalent of 3 adult men.
If you add gravel and rocks, wood, etc, the weight could be more.

Whilst you may already have a 110litre/ 110kg tank on the chest of drawers, I would be concerned about doubling or tripling that weight, even with reinforcements.

Perhaps make a decent frame to go over the chest of drawers and have the tank on that. Like a double tier stand with tank on top and chest of drawers underneath.

My favorite stands are cement blocks and 2x8 boards.

I got a 55 with a factory wood stand, I thew it out, it was made of sawdust... most all the stands I've seen in the store were the same.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back