Weight down an ornament

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EmmOxy

Reaction score
i have recently bought a fake rock for my tank and when i used sand it was weighted down quite well but i found that the sand was getting dirty too quickly and i was disturbing the fish too much so we went and got some gravel however when i put the rock in it now keeps floating as it is hollow. I thought of putting in some cement to fill it out but i'm struggling to find one that isn't going to cost me more that £50 for a small amount. Does anyone have an suggestions on where to find some or of something else i can use?
rock 2.jpg
rock.jpg

You could silicon some lead weights inside the ornament or drill a couple of small holes in it and tie some lead weights in it. Lead weights can be bought from a petshop as plant anchors or use fishing sinkers. If the lead weights/ sinkers are shiny silver, soak them in sea/ salt water for a few days then let them dry out and they should go dull grey pretty quickly. The lead will then be oxidised and safe to go in the tank.

When you put the ornament in the tank, make sure there are no air bubbles trapped under it.

Last edited:
Hmm, unusual.

Only thing can think of is to perhaps make a few discrete holes so that air can get out and the hollow parts of fake rock gets filled with water therefore will stay submerged perhaps.

Or maybe get some hard stone, rock or ceramic plant weight and glue or silicone those into the hollow parts underneath to add some extra weight to keep the fake rock down.

Other than that, nothing else springs to mind right now. Will give it some thought.

Hopefully someone will come up with a simple but effective solution.

Hmm, unusual.

Only thing can think of is to perhaps make a few discrete holes so that air can get out and the hollow parts of fake rock gets filled with water therefore will stay submerged perhaps.

Or maybe get some hard stone, rock or ceramic plant weight and glue or silicone those into the hollow parts underneath to add some extra weight to keep the fake rock down.

Other than that, nothing else springs to mind right now. Will give it some thought.

Hopefully someone will come up with a simple but effective solution.

Love those tanks!

You could silicon some lead weights inside the ornament or drill a couple of small holes in it and tie some lead weights in it. Lead weights can be bought from a petshop as plant anchors or use fishing sinkers. If the lead weights/ sinkers are shiny silver, soak them in sea/ salt water for a few days then let them dry out and they should go dull grey pretty quickly. Then lead will then be oxidised and safe to go in the tank.

When you put the ornament in the tank, make sure there are no air bubbles trapped under it.

I like this idea i will give it a go :D thank you

nobody would make an aquarium ornament like that, that floated....you just have air trapped under it....

when you put it in the tank turn it upside down at first until it is under the water surface to make sure no air is trapped underneath

when you put it in the tank turn it upside down at first until it is under the water surface to make sure no air is trapped underneath

Oh I shall try this when my fish have settled down a bit, thank you

I agree with @mikey11 here, I think the problem is air inside the ornament. I've had ornaments that are hollow like that. I have one now. I have to put it in the tank upside down and let it fill with water, then I flip it upright and it stays on the bottom just fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back