Weighing Powders For Ei Mix?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nry

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just wondering, I have all the EI powders on their way, what is the best way of weighing them to make a solution with water? Doubt my kitchen scales will go down to a few grams accurately!

I have no experience with EI, but jewelry scales are pretty accurate.. i think often down to at least 0.1 gram, so that should do the trick.

Hmm, I'll have to have a look, cheers!

Just wondering, I have all the EI powders on their way, what is the best way of weighing them to make a solution with water? Doubt my kitchen scales will go down to a few grams accurately!

I similarly just started using EI well atleast I mixed liter bottles of solution. When measuring i just converted grams to teaspoon amounts. figured i could get it close enough.

I used my Salisbury's 'basics' scales, which are undoubtedly ultra inaccurate! Don't forget that the whole principle of EI is that you add nutrients to 'excess' so you dont have to have too accurate when weighing out the powers.

Sam

I used the scales at my Dad's work, which is used to weigh packages for posting. It's digital and very accurate.

I worked this out:

KNO3 = Potassium (K 39%) Nitrate (NO3 61%)
5.6g = 1tsp in 1L => 1ml of this in 1L gives NO3 = 3.43ppm and K = 2.17ppm

KH2PO4 = (Mono) Potassium (K 30%) Phosphate (PO4 70%)
4.8g = 1tsp in 1L => 1ml of this in 1L gives PO4 = 3.35ppm and K = 1.44ppm

K2SO4 = Potassium (K 45%) Sulphate (SO4 55%)
6.0g = 1tsp in 1L => 1ml of this in 1L gives K = 2.69ppm

KCl = Potassium (K 52%) Chloride (Cl 48%)
6.0g = 1tsp in 1L => 1ml of this in 1L gives K = 3.14ppm

I guess you can then work this back to whatever size tank you have using those diddy measuring spoons.

I did the same as "Portwash" and measured them up to create larger bottles of solution. The amounts are so small as is that it shouldn't be a huge problem...probably...!

The problem I found with keeping solutions was:

Storage (have to use 'black' containers, or store in dark cupboards)
Using the solution: Because I was only using 1/2 litre containers, I couldn't dissolve the required amounts (had to shake like mad before dosing).
Mould! <- thus someone mentioned having to keep it refridgerated.... I'll let him tell the wife that then.

Poured all my pre-mixes down the sink in the end & now simply dose dry, straight into the tank using small measuring spoons.

You live & learn.

Andy

I store my (litre) bottles in a dark cupboard: so far a month on and no sign of mold! I mixed the powders into smaller amounts of water first, then in to the larger bottle, and shook vigorously. I.e. I didn't add the powders to 1L of water straight off (which I guess would be hard to ensure it all dissolved like you say), but a bit of the powder to a bit of the water, a bit at a time :D

I have borrowed some scales from the science dept. at work, always forget about resources like that! Shame they couldn't sort out the powders, not as if they won't last me years though!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back