Spinning around
Reaction score
post-22-1083439781.jpg

weatherloach.jpg

Common Name/s: Weather loach, Dojo Loach

Scientific name: Misgurnus angullicaudatus

Family: Cobitidae

Origin - Asia, China, Korea, Japan.

Maximum Size - The Common Dojo/Weatherfish is drab to light brown naturally, though there are "Golden" Dojos (xanthistic varieties, not albinos) that are human-produced. This species attains a maximum length of about twelve inches. The Spotted Dojo or Weatherfish only reaches a natural length of six inches.

Care - They should kept in a group preferable in cool, well oxygenated water although they can withstand tropical temperatures.

Feeding - Omnivorous, excepts most foods.

Sexing and Breeding - Breeding is pretty difficult, mainly because hobbists know little about their breeding habits etc. Spawning takes place in the spring to the beginning of summer, before water temperatures are too warm. It is believed that a slight rise in temperature after several months will trigger spawning. Pectoral fins are used in sexing mature fish, they are larger in males than in females. Spawning follows a courtship ritual between a breeding pair, this may last for some time, fertalized eggs will hatch after 3 days. For the first week the fry feed on infusoria, after which they may be fed on newly hatched brine shrimp.

Comments - Most common are the Common, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus (Cantor) and Spotted, Cobitis taenia (Linnaeus) Dojos or Weatherfishes. They are often called "living barometers" of their increased activity at the approach of changing weather. These fishes are pressure-sensitive, swimming about more if its about to rain for instance. Both are excellent scavengers. They should be kept with their own species.

The Weather Loach has recently been introduced to Queensland Australia however has spread throughout many rivers and lakes ( Darling river being one I believe). The Weather loach is now pronounced as a Noxious fish in Australia so I doubt for anyone outside of Queensland will be able to purchase weather loaches due to the risk of it spreading into other states of Australia.

If you ever find a weird slimy stringy skin like thing... its cause the fish can shed there skin... they do this as they grow, like snakes!

My dojo loach with a macros zoom

Attachments

• DSCF1139.JPG
    DSCF1139.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 510
  • DSCF1157.JPG
    DSCF1157.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 516
OK...I think we have enough Dojo loach pix. Thanks to all tho'. SH

A note to maximum size, loaches.com has a comment regarding ID and size saying

One thing about the identification of the species. On your site there are two Latin names given for a fish called the weather loach: Misgurnus anguillicaudatus and M. fossilis. One reader even mentions that Cobitis taenia is sold as the weather loach. The latter is easily distinguished from the Misgurnus species (at least if you catch him sleeping) since the genus Cobitis carries only 3 pairs of barbels whereas Misgurnus carries 5. The Cobitis also stays much smaller (ca. 14 cm) than the Misgurnus (up to 30 cm).

From most of the pictures on here, and what I've seen in shops, a lot of fish sold as weather loaches actually seem to be Cobitis due to the number of barbels.

The Weather Loach has recently been introduced to Queensland Australia however has spread throughout many rivers and lakes ( Darling river being one I believe). The Weather loach is now pronounced as a Noxious fish in Australia so I doubt for anyone outside of Queensland will be able to purchase weather loaches due to the risk of it spreading into other states of Australia.

Hi ive just found these in my local pond here in the a.c.t so they have come a long way!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back