Water Parameters For Stiphodon Elegens (Red Neon Goby)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I saw this fish in the fish index and am very interested but am having trouble finding info on its preferred water parameters (pH, kh, etc). Does anyone know? Thank you?

Fishbase gives its parameters as pH 6.0 to 8.0 and GH as 5 to 19 German deg. That covers all but the very soft and very hard. Temperature 24 to 28  deg C.

KH doesn't matter to fish (except for stabilising pH); it is GH that is important.

Thank you very much! I'll look up fishbase for future questions.:)

Just checked out fishbase. It is great! Thank you for telling me about it. I had never heard of it before. :)

I have a stiphodon elegans in a typical SA planted community tank, somewhat soft, just below neutral pH water, 78-80 temp.  He's been happy there for 4 years now. I had a female initiallyt but he really bullied her and she didn't make it. I am not sure if that's normal, but he was a jerk to her despite many hiding places. 

Thank you Magpie. I ended up getting a stiphodons atropurpureus. Well, three actually, one male and two females. The male didn't survive more than a few hours, poor fellow. The females are still doing very nicely months later. I have been hesitant to get another male because the ladies have a good stable relationship with each other and I have been worried about how a male would affect that. After reading your experience, it makes me feel better about not getting a male. I imagine the behavior of the atropurpureus and the elegens would be similar to each other.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back