Water hardness

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaeve

Reaction score
Is it plausible to mix tap and distilled water (or similar) to drop my hardness if I wanted tetras? My hardness is around 250ppm. I know is over 215 for kh and gh.
My ph is at 8.2.
I haven't cycle yet. I'm gonna cycle with my normal tap. I do really want tetras but if it would be too hard to keep my paramiters stable. My tank is 37 gal.

What you want can be done but it can also be fiddly, not doing it right will cause the water parameters to fluctuate.

What you want can be done but it can also be fiddly, not doing it right will cause the water parameters to fluctuate.
Is there a post or link I could read to see if I could possibly do this?

There are several threads about this here and there, but I will summarize briefly to get you started.

Diluting hard water with pure water is the safest way to lower the hardness. The KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) will also lower, and the pH will usually lower too. "Pure" water means distilled, reverse osmosis (RO) or rainwater if this is easy to collect and otherwise safe. You can buy the first two, or prepare your own.

The GH/KH will be reduced proportionally. For example, if you mix half tap water and half pure water the GH/KH will be half what it was. The pH may or may not lower much, depending upon the KH which buffers pH, preventing fluctuations. The higher the KH, the stronger the buffering capability.

Initially doing this to fill the tank is straight forward. It is the prepared water for water changes that takes some effort, as you need to have some means of preparing the water outside the tank before adding it to the tank once it is mixed.

If soft water fish species are the intention, you could use basically "pure" water. A GH and KH basically zero is what I have out of the tap, and I add nothing (except fish foods, and very little liquid plant fertilizer) to increase mineral content. My point is that softy water species do not need mineral other than what they get in foods; this is how they live in their habitat. Some species could manage with some GH, it depends. Not all soft water species occur in this type of water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back