Water changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connor31556

Reaction score
Hi guys i asked on another forum and looked it up on the internet but I haven't got a definitive answer my question is I have a 20 gallon tank that I got 2 weeks ago and put the water in that day since then I got all the chemicals in such as the water conditioner and bacteria and I have 6 fish in it 3 angels and 3 albino corydoras all young and they've been doing great I got my water tested and I saw with my own eyes that it was looking good I currently do water changes once a week and just changed 1/3rd of the water then should I be changing the water more or am I ok doing it like this? thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I do not think 2 weeks is long enough to cycle the tank properly but depending on what bacteria you used it might be cycled already. Can you post the number results of the test, also what test are you using? Strips can be a bit off while liquid test kits are usual far superior for accurate readings.

As for water changes, you should always do weekly water changes. This helps keep the nitrates stable and replaces minerals that the fish need.

As for your stocking, this is a matter for concern. No angelfish will do well in a 20gal long term, let alone 3 of them. Unless you plan on upgrading soon to at least a 55gal (suitable for 3 angels) you should think of returning the angels. As for the corydoras, they will need more friends of their own species to keep them happy. I say 6-8 should do it in a 20gal.

I do not think 2 weeks is long enough to cycle the tank properly but depending on what bacteria you used it might be cycled already. Can you post the number results of the test, also what test are you using? Strips can be a bit off while liquid test kits are usual far superior for accurate readings.

As for water changes, you should always do weekly water changes. This helps keep the nitrates stable and replaces minerals that the fish need.

As for your stocking, this is a matter for concern. No angelfish will do well in a 20gal long term, let alone 3 of them. Unless you plan on upgrading soon to at least a 55gal (suitable for 3 angels) you should think of returning the angels. As for the corydoras, they will need more friends of their own species to keep them happy. I say 6-8 should do it in a 20gal.
I can't give you the exact numbers I'm hoping to get the water test kit pretty soon though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back